Director, Technical Project-Program Management
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration, and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Director, Project Management Office provides strategic/tactical leadership and oversight for creating, sustaining, implementing, and driving efficient and effective project management processes in support of business objectives. He/she will partner with leaders and stakeholders from both IT and the business to ensure proper coordination and execution of activities related to the delivery of technology.
They are responsible for overseeing one or more sub-portfolios, including supporting projects from demand origination to project closure; supporting project s escalations. The position requires significant interaction with cross-functional departments within the company, collaboration across other technology portfolios, and excellent communication and relationship management skills to influence and resolve issues.
Job consists of unique and multi-dimensional work situations involving high impact and high visibility initiatives. Job involves a high degree of complexity. Incumbent oversees a team of professionals and is responsible for establishing practices and procedures. Duties are performed independently with minimal supervision and work is verified by results. Decisions are made within established departmental guidelines, but also by using judgment for the best reasonable outcome. Position has high visibility to Senior Leadership and Executives through direct interaction and reporting. Errors in judgment or work performance could result in insufficient operation for the organization.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to work in office or telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop and foster relationships with business partners, portfolio leaders, project managers, portfolio stakeholders, and external partners
- Collaborate with business and finance leadership to support projects demands, vetting and prioritization processes within each portfolio, and across portfolios as needed
- Provide consistent and effective portfolio dashboards, portfolio reviews, scorecards, and reports
- Collaborate with Pacific West leadership team on analysis of proposed projects
- Ensure that portfolio benefits are defined and managed during the portfolio lifecycle, and that the realization is monitored
- Ensure compliance and alignment with Technology standards and processes
- Facilitate and / or support coordination for project efforts
- Identify, track, and help resolve cross-portfolio dependencies and conflicts
- Serve as the point of escalation for Regional Leadership or requestors with issues directly related to delivery
- Develop and facilitate regional community meetings and project steering committee
- Promote IT project delivery framework and processes
- Highly functional in a dynamic, challenging environment
- Comfortable bending between the tactical and strategic
- Develops strategic plans and roadmaps
- Translate business objectives into execution strategy (tactical and strategic), lead and successfully execute the strategy through strong collaboration and agile leadership
- Anticipate and aggressively remove obstacles that slow down or prevent programs from delivering on program objectives
- Provide “go to” leadership, transparency, and visibility to the entire Technology & Products organization
- Accountable for clear understanding of mission and goals for role and the team. Provides clear direction to achieve goals, creating an environment that fosters team commitment and employee engagement
- Understands effective communication across all levels of the organization (both upward and downward) with the appropriate message, the right tone, and the appropriate level of impact
- Teammate is able to make the complex seem less complex, is a consensus builder and brings people and teams together. Is able to calm tense situations by bringing clarity and organization to the forefront. Ensures each level of the organization has the information needed and the context needed to produce favorable results. Builds strong relationship with IT operational leaders to ensure connectivity to the business
- Creates a work environment in which people are able to perform to the best of their abilities. Recognizes talent and maximizes potential in others. Holds self-accountable for technical abilities, productive results, and leadership attributes of the organization
- Recognizes problems and is able to make recommendations on the best course of action to re- mediate. Resourceful at coming up with solutions using existing or available resources based on knowledge of the organization and level of execution effort
- Translates initiatives into actions through a thoughtful, organized, and well-planned approach. Establishes measurement criteria and systems to track daily processes, implementation of new initiatives and value creation
What are the reasons to consider working for UnitedHealth Group? Put it all together - competitive base pay, a full and comprehensive benefit program, performance rewards, and a management team who demonstrates their commitment to your success. Some of our offerings include:
- Paid Time Off which you start to accrue with your first pay period plus 8 Paid Holidays
- Medical Plan options along with participation in a Health Spending Account or a Health Saving account
- Dental, Vision, Life& AD&D Insurance along with Short-term disability and Long-Term Disability coverage
- 401(k) Savings Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Voluntary Benefits (pet insurance, legal insurance, LTC Insurance, etc.)
- More information can be downloaded at: http://uhg.hr/uhgbenefits
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s Degree OR 10+ years Project Management Experience
- 8+ years of combined IT experience in project and program management
- 8+ years of experience implementing and maintaining accurate key performance measures relating to PMO and project management best practices such as building work breakdown structures, Waterfall/Agile/Scrum methodologies, etc…; experience with traditional SDLC methodologies
- 8+ years of experience with analytical and problem-solving skills, detail orientation
- 5+ years of experience managing a large portfolio or program with multiple business stakeholders
- 5+ years of experience communicating across multiple levels of the organization including managing through cross-business area or business unit prioritization discussions
- 5+ years of experience with executive presentations, listening, negotiation and influencing skills
- 5+ years of experience in Agile methodologies, running projects in Agile
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Master’s Degree
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills conducive to collaboration; able to work well in a cross-functional, matrix management environment
- PMP certification
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
For more information on our Internal Job Posting Policy, [Register to View] .
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.