Pathologists' Assistant (req73819)
** $10,000 SIGN ON BONUS!!! **
Pathologists' Assistant - Exempt
Location - Oklahoma City, OK
Schedule: Monday through Friday 5pm-130am
1. B.S. degree
2. AAPA fellowship status and/or PA (ASCP)
3. Meets all requirements as outlined in corporate Minimum Qualifications for Personnel Performing Tissue Gross Examinations SOP and 1988 CLIA CFR 493.1489.
1. M.S. degree
2. Graduate of a NAACLS approved Pathologist Assistant training program
3. 1 year surgical gross experience, including large, complex/complicated specimens
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists the department manager/supervisor with the day-to-day operations of the surgical pathology area. Helps to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of services provided by the grossing staff.
2. Capable of performing all of the duties/responsibilities as authorized by the laboratory director/technical supervisor.
3. Perform gross examination and dissection of large, complex/complicated specimens in preparation for Histologic processing. Typically hospital-based, whole organ specimens.
4. Provide technical instructions, training and guidance to pathologist assistants/grossing technicians, students and lab assistants in techniques, instrumentation and organization of work.
5. May be responsible for orientation, training and training verification of newly hired grossing staff.
6. May perform New Hire QC for pathologist assistants, grossing technicians and any histotechs performing gross examination.
7. May administer competency assessment, including direct observation, to grossing staff.
8. Provide input to department manager/supervisor for employee performance reviews
9. May assist with establishing the level of supervision (direct vs. indirect) for each specimen type for each individual performing gross.
10. Ensure compliance with all corporate safety, quality control and quality assurance standards.
11. Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAP regulations.
12. Perform troubleshooting when necessary and have the ability to exercise independent judgment, if required.
13. Interact directly with pathologists regarding gross dissection/description activities, including defined specimen types that require direct supervision by a pathologist.
14. Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the histology supervisor/manager, technical supervisor, or director.
15. Coordinate and monitor workflow
16. May act as a key contact person for pathologist, grossing and histology staff to identify problem areas and recommend changes to workflow
17. May be responsible for monitoring HPAP as needed
18. May participate with the development and/or monitoring of quality indicators for the QMP
19. Follow the laboratorys applicable procedures for job-related responsibilities.
20. Comply with Quest Diagnostics corporate continuing education requirements for grossing personnel as well as those required to maintain state licensure and/or CMP.
21. Other duties, as assigned by supervisor.