Research Laboratory Manager - Advanced Microscopy Core (145841)
- Assist the Core Director by managing projects/programs in a research laboratory, and/or managing the interaction with outside collaborators and other laboratories.
- Function in a separate and independent manner in initiating, planning, executing and evaluating experiments to achieve specific objectives in research projects within the laboratory or program area.
- Design and adapt protocols, procedures, techniques.
- Design, modify and adapt equipment.
- Compile, write and submit reports and proposals to superiors.
- Provides general oversight for the laboratory-based operations of the Advanced Microscopy Core.
- Provides secondary support for the EMC-Cell Imaging Core Facility, particularly intravital imaging.
- Performs and supervises core facility microscopy services in biomedical research imaging including confocal, super-resolution and multiphoton microscopy.
- Handles administrative and strategic planning issues including equipment acquisition and maintenance, information systems issues, etc.
Expertise and Specialization
- Utilize highly specialized skills, knowledge and experience to support the core technology and programmatic initiatives of the laboratory.
- Manage interactions with collaborators, other laboratories, consortia or partnerships such as SBIRs needing access to highly specialized skills or technology, customized services or techniques, and/or novel approaches to resolve problems.
- Provide specialized training to the laboratory or other collaborators or labs.
- Uses laboratory knowledge and expertise including in advanced optical microscopy to identify, troubleshoot and resolve laboratory imaging research and operational issues and interacts with all levels of internal and external resources to resolve problems.
- Apply laboratory knowledge and expertise to lab operational issues; anticipate problems, assure efficient, productive day-to-day operation.
- Provide managerial support in the purchasing, financial and personnel oversight of the laboratory.
- Define/develop reports according to laboratory needs.
- Coordinate lab educational activities; conduct in-service programs.
- Assure safety, protocols and other procedural/regulatory factors are up to date and in compliance.
- Interact with all levels of internal/external resources to resolve problems.
- Provide development opportunities and ongoing feedback to employees.
- Provide clear direction and communication to employees within unit.
- Determine staffing needs and schedule personnel. Interview, counsel and evaluate laboratory personnel; may make hiring decisions.
- Maintains and updates equipment manuals, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and Quality Control/Preventative Maintenance records.
- Tracks Core Facility utilization for user billing and performs iLabs billing for Core Services.
- Enforces personnel safety for Class IV lasers.
- Consults with Environmental Health and Safety personnel concerning safety procedures required for installation and usage of equipment.
Required: Bachelor's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree in one of the natural sciences or related field.
Required: Seven years experience in scientific, research or clinical laboratory, to include four years in a supervisory/managerial capacity. With preferred degree, five years of required experience to include four years in a supervisory/managerial capacity. Successful completion of the LEADing Self Accelerate program may substitute for one year of required supervisory or management experience. Must pass pre-employment skills test as required and administered by Human Resources.
Preferred: Five years experience in biomedical laboratory research and operations involving fluorescence microscopy and computational image analysis. Specific experience preferred includes Multiphoton, Live Cell and Super-Resolution Fluorescence Microscopy and Class IV lasers safety.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. [Register to View] Information
- Requisition ID: 145841
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: exempt and not eligible for overtime pay
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Work Location: Onsite
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 59,200
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 74,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 88,800
- Science Jobs: Yes