Medical Technologist - QC (req85185)
QC Medical Technologist - Cleveland, OH - Monday-Friday (day shift)
• Department: Chemistry
• MUST be certified is one of the following: MT / MLS / MLT
Monitor, coordinate, and/or perform quality control/ quality assurance activities within a defined laboratory. Provides support for laboratory technical and non-technical staff in order to expedite workflow and aides in the resolution of technical problems. Has a fundamental understanding of Specimen Processing, test performance, and reporting test results for all tests performed in laboratory supported.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in all principle duties of a Medical Technologist I and / or II.
• Manages/ coordinates activities defined on the department’s “Quality Scheduler”.
• Maintains LIS based QC software program including development of quality control (QC) targets and ranges. Periodically reviews/ adjusts QC performance limits.
• Manages/ coordinates parallel testing events for both new reagent and quality control materials.
• Manages all facets of both Internal and External proficiency testing programs, including pre-analytical handling, compiling and completing PT submission forms, cataloging PT responses, maintaining inventory of previously assayed PT materials. Coordinates and summarizing root cause investigations following sub-optimal performance.
• Maintains document control for all records generated during routine laboratory testing.
• Key resource for ensuring continues compliance with external regulatory agencies. Reviews unit activities to ensure compliance with departmental policies and federal, state, and local regulations.
• Involved in the management of training and competency documents.
• Works with supervisor/ department manager, providing support during the validation of new procedures.
• Reviews QA and QC records when applicable.
• Serve as a technical resource for the unit by investigating and resolving analytical testing problems. Recommending a course of action in instances identified as beyond acceptable limits, and responding to non-routine/complex inquiries and/or requests from clients and sales representatives.
• Review requests for validity checks and recommend an appropriate course of action taking into account the limitations of specimen requirements and the effects of time and the quality of additional and/or repeat testing.
• Assist with the department's annual competency testing process and documentation.
• Interact in a professional manner with inter-departmental teams and groups.
• Perform other duties as directed by department manager
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. This is not an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that and incumbent may be expected to perform.
*Denotes essential functions of the job for purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act only
• Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, Biology or Chemistry or an Associate’s degree in a Laboratory Science or Medical Laboratory Technology or have previously qualified as a Technologist under 42 CFR 493.1433 published in March 14,1990. If HEW certified, eight years or more in same department.
• Associates hired after the standardization date, must have a Bachelor of Science/Arts degree.
• Minimum of five years clinical experience with two years in present department.
• Must have received a rating of 2 on last two annual performance appraisals.
• Must have the ability to establish work priorities for self and others and handle several procedures simultaneously including troubleshooting instruments and other problems/issues.
• Ability to schedule and manage resources to meet department goals.
• Must interact with other departments.
• Contact with clients will be required, good customer service skills important.
• Interaction with purchasing and manufacturer technical representatives.
• Must protect patient confidentiality at all times.