Field Service Technician - Greater Houston Area
Motorola Solutions is there for our customers when everything is on the line. In extreme moments — when a hurricane lands or when a fire breaks out. And in everyday moments — when a package arrives just in time for the holiday or when a child doesn’t miss the school bus home.
We unify voice, data, video and analytics in one integrated ecosystem to enable individuals, businesses and communities to work together in more powerful ways. To help people make better decisions, act confidently and be their best in the moments that matter. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions and connect with a career that matters.
Department OverviewAt Motorola Solutions we help people be their best in the moments that matter. We help firefighters see around buildings and police officers see around street corners. Our work is very meaningful, impactful, and cutting edge and we invite you to explore it. We are the Best!
Motorola Solutions is a world leader in the field of professional mobile communications systems with an impressive heritage of technological innovations and a global base of installed systems. The group's main business is the implementation of mission critical digital mobile communication systems for Government & Public Safety Communications customers.
- The position responsibilities include upgrades, implementation, optimization and maintenance support of a large complex regional communication system.
- The Field Service Technician will provide technical support of specialized systems and product applications including advanced troubleshooting of software driven electronics, provisioning of communication system infrastructure and performance optimization of RF and Broadband architecture including, but not limited to, legacy analog, advanced digital P25 and data infrastructure.
- Maintain, optimize, test and document complex communications systems.
- Provide weekly reports of activities and accomplishments.
- Perform preventative maintenance routines to ensure proper system operation with focus on trend analysis and documentation of results
- Develop solutions to difficult technical problems encountered as part of system maintenance, upgrades or support issues
- Must have very strong knowledge of wired communications systems, such as local area networks (LAN) and wide area networks (WAN), must be proficient in computer network installation, configuration and maintenance systems to include cabling, routers, switches, firewalls and bridges.
- Must be capable of performing maintenance of server hardware/OS and software infrastructure and troubleshooting to resolve system/application related issues.
- Must have strong knowledge of R.F. systems, such as transmitters, receivers, and antenna networks
- Must have strong knowledge in standard telephony and dedicated data circuits, as well as knowledge of packet switching techniques
- Total familiarity with the latest technologies and troubleshooting techniques
- Must be highly computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access
- Must have strong self-management skills and "people" skills to work closely with Motorola’s customers and subcontractor (MSS) community, as well as Motorola Sales, Engineering, Project Management, and customer service teams
- Must be self-motivated and self-managed to perform the required duties at a distance from direct supervision
- Strong self-management and communications skills, ability to work closely with Customers, Team Members, Sales, Engineering, UO, PM’s & CSM’s.
- Must be able to solve customer problems quickly during stressful situations
- Ability to read and understand equipment schematics and diagrams.
- Must be proficient in use of various communications test devices and equipment including: System Analyzers, Power Meters, etc.
- Be proficient with MS Office, Motorola CPS Software.
- BA in Engineering/IT related fields +, Associates and 2+ years experience or 4+ years experience as a Technician, Field/System, IT, Networking, RF, LMR or Electronics.
- Prior Military Electronics
- Network certifications (Security +/ CompTIA Network+, Juniper JNCIA-Junos, Nokia NRS1, CCNA or similar, highly desirable)
- FCC License, ETA and/or other Industry Certifications are also desired.
- Must be able to obtain background clearance as required by government customers
- Availability to be on-call on a 24/7, 365 day basis
- Travel estimation 25%
- Must have a current valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
Location / Territory:
- This position will be based in the Houston, TX area
- 4+ years experience in one of the following: Electronics Technician, System Technologist, System Manager, or Field Service
Motorola Solutions has implemented a voluntary COVID-19 vaccination policy. We strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated. Any employee who is not vaccinated must wear a mask at all times when at a Motorola Solutions site or otherwise meeting with other Motorola Solutions employees or customers. Employees who have submitted proof of vaccination must follow site-specific or local mask requirements. Additionally, certain local governments or Motorola Solutions' customers may have vaccine requirements that apply to some of our employees.
Referral Payment PlanYes
Our U.S. Benefits include:
- Incentive Bonus Plans
- Medical, Dental, Vision benefits effective Day 1
- 401K with Company Match and Day 1 vesting
- 9 Paid Holidays
- Generous Paid Time Off Packages
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Paid Parental & Family Leave
- and more!
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.