Co-op: Cell Biologist (743999827830605)
At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.Job Description
This application is for a 6-month student role from July - December 2022. Please only apply if available for 40 hours/week July - December.
As a Co-op student in the Research Organization, you will investigate important cell biological pathways for potential interventions to treat neurological, neuromuscular and retinal disorders, including, but not limited to ALS, muscular dystrophy, and monogenic developmental encephalopathies.
You will work closely with drug discovery scientists to help validate new therapeutic targets and develop in vitro models of disease using cell and molecular biology techniques. You will perform tissue culture, characterize specialized cell types, analyze data and present findings in project team meetings.
Example projects for 2022 Co-op students include:
- You will work with scientists in the Translational Biology group to evaluate models of Rett Syndrome using calcium imaging of neurons and astrocytes using both mouse and tissue culture preparations. You will gain valuable experience with fiber photometry to record activity dynamics of neurons and astrocytes in vivo, as well as AAV transduction and primary tissue culture of astrocytes and neurons that enable calcium imaging of fluorescent calcium dynamics in vitro.
- You will work with the Neuromuscular disorders group and NGS group to use cutting-edge long-range sequencing technologies to fully understand the on-target and off-target impact of CRISPR genetic medicine in disease relevant cells and tissues, with special focus on genome integrity. You will gain valuable experience in cutting edge research on CRISPR-based gene therapy, including but not limited to, experiment design, molecular assays, library preparation and sequencing technologies, data analysis skills and presentation skills.
- You will work with the Genetic and Neurodevelopmental disorders group to execute in vitro and ex vivo assays to screen small molecule hits for a pipeline project. You will gain hands-on experience in a variety of in vitro and ex vivo techniques, including but not limited to, cell culture (cell lines and iPSCs), RNA and protein extraction, qPCR, ddPCR, ELISAs, MSD assays and western blots.
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
Interests and experiences (including coursework with laboratories) in the following areas preferred,
- Molecular biology (cloning, PCR), biochemistry (Western blot, protein extraction)
- And/or Next Gen Sequencing (NGS)
- And/or microscopy (immunostaining)
- And/or Tissue culture
- And/or AAV construct design and delivery
- And/or mouse handling or behavioral experiments
- Enrolled in BS, MS or PhD programs.
- Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Cell biology, Neuroscience or related Biological sciences
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.