Scientist II (31014312)
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Scarborough currently has an opportunity for a Scientist II.
The position of R&D Research Scientist is within our Infectious Disease Developed Markets business unit located at Scarborough, Maine. In this role you will execute preclinical scientific research or product development in collaboration with project core team members. Investigates the feasibility of applying a variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential products and problems. Uses professional concepts to contribute to the development of company concepts and principles and to achieve objectives in creative and effective ways. Expected to work on problems of moderate and diverse scope which requires the identification, evaluation and analysis of experimental factors.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance
- Draft and execute experimental plans, protocols and reports per applicable design control regulation and quality management system procedures
- Analyze experimental results and present findings and conclusions to leadership
- Transfer new technologies and products to Operations.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Work collaboratively with other team scientists and project core team members to execute and deliver project, department, site, and corporate strategic goals. Support the development and sustainment of a high performing team
- May supervise and mentor junior lab members
- Perform other duties & projects as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology or related life science.
5+ years of progressively responsible positions within the diagnostic industry.
- Experience developing immunoassays
- Technically proficient in general laboratory skills
- Mathematics and computer literacy
- Good communication skills, capable of communicating ideas to colleagues and customers
- Problem-solving skills combined with analytical skills and good attention to detail
- Project management skills and good organizational skills
- Proficiency in basic MS Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred. MS project, Visio,
- Statistical Software (JMP/Minitab/etc.) a plus
- Good knowledge of science and the ability to apply basic principles and techniques
- Masters or PhD. preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.