Director – Global Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Business Partner Commercialization, R&D, GPS (R1555939-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Director, Global D&I Strategy Business Partner will be a results-oriented and resourceful leader who establishes themselves as a credible strategic partner and operates as a trusted advisor to business leaders. Embedded deeply in the business, the Business Partner consults on the needs of the organization and designs relevant solutions.
We are seeking a collaborative and skilled D&I leader with demonstrated ability to collaborate with senior executives, business leaders, and other HR Business Partners (Talent Acquisition, Talent Development, Total Rewards, etc.) to provide thought leadership, manage the business relationship, and design as well as execute on initiatives to accelerate the organization toward progress on GD&I goals.
As the primary GD&I liaison for the business, you will be responsible for providing strategic thought leadership, building organization and leadership capabilities; developing programs, strategies, and interventions to accelerate business goals; and providing GD&I governance to the business.
- Build effective relationships with senior business leaders to develop a deep understanding of the business; increase awareness and understanding of GD&I as a critical business imperative; and drive accountability for embedding D&I into business practices and processes
- Advises GD&I Councils and ensures alignment of their work to deliver on the GD&I strategy.
- Develop and deliver customized best in class GD&I strategic plans that align with the Enterprise People Strategy and GD&I Strategy that positively and measurably affect the culture, team, and colleague experience in support of the strategic business goals and the enterprise commitments.
- Serve as a GD&I subject matter expert by contributing perspective, insights, and knowledge, and taking a balanced consultative and systemic approach to enable the organization to leverage D&I to drive innovation and growth
- Translate strategy into specific GD&I action plans with clear accountability, make decisions based on best available information, and communicate priorities clearly and concisely to management
- Engage in the identification of diversity best practices and benchmarks as input to designing and implementing initiatives
- Regularly measure and analyze D&I progress and provide consultative support to identify opportunities, interventions, and initiatives for advancement.
- Consult to the business for all things GD&I and report back to the GD&I team about potential trends, gaps, opportunities, wins and learnings from the business
- Ability to leverage data to identify gaps and opportunities
- Partner with GD&I Operations team to strategically integrate and operationalize D&I across the business and scale tools and resources to accommodate the business’ growth, complexity, and global expansion
- Collaborate with leadership to identify and minimize the impact of any potential systematic barriers and enablers of the GD&I strategy
- Experience preparing, drafting, and delivering executive summaries on D&I progress and commitments
- Ability to prioritize efforts and measure the impact of D&I initiatives
- Establish strong relationships across the HR organization, specifically with Talent Attraction, HRBP, HR IT, Employee Development and Internal Communications to establish One HR approach with the business.
- Act as the SME to advise and guide hiring managers, human resources, and senior leadership on D&I issues and trends.
- Partner with D&I/HR partners in planning and coordinating inclusion workshops and conversations, and external speakers around D&I topics. Help facilitate and design workshops.
Experiences & Competencies
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 8-10 years of Diversity and Inclusion, Human Resources, or relevant business experience
- Ability to articulate a vision to teams across the organization and business, with excellent creative thinking skills
- Experience effectively implementing strategic programs and driving key initiatives
- Ability to successfully manage multiple complexes, time-sensitive priorities and competing demands with multiple stakeholders; strong time management and prioritization skills
- Proven ability to build sustainable relationships with key stakeholders both externally and internally
- Ability to provide cultural insights, emerging market demographic analysis, and socio‐economic conditions and indicators as well as translate these into strategy and improvement opportunities
- Dependable, great attitude, highly motivated and a team player
- Outstanding communication (written and verbal), presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to confidently interact with all levels of an organization
- Outstanding proficiency in mentoring and guiding others, as well as teambuilding
- Sound judgment and decision-making as well as ability to handle confidential information appropriately
- Experience managing large scale multifaceted initiatives with different timelines and deliverables
- Experience leading collaborative efforts across a matrix organization
- Excellent influencer, connector, and facilitator within a matrixed environment; demonstrated track record of influencing at senior executive levels
- Ability to stand alone/challenge status quo, as well as engage in candid discussion/debate
- Excellent EQ and inclusive communication skills that foster collaboration and connection
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop, and coach others, oversee, and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Build and foster sustainable company-wide diversity & inclusion strategies
- Adaptable and flexible to evolving priorities and changing situation. Can work high and low, fluidly transitioning from being a part of strategy one moment to diving deep in details and working tactically in the next
- A self-starter as well as an effective communicator with the ability to collaborate and influence at all levels in the organization
- An inclusive leader that contributes to creating a sense of belonging
- Proven experience leading diversity & inclusion initiatives
- Change Management Experience strongly preferred
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to . Visit[Register to View] target="_blank"> [Register to View] to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.