Medical Science Liaison, Abbott Point of Care (APOC) (31021584)
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott Point of Care is a global leader in providing critical medical diagnostic and data management products for rapid blood analysis that are intuitive, reliable, and cost-effective. Our i-STAT System is an advanced, portable diagnostic tool that provides real-time, lab-quality results within minutes to accelerate patient-care decision-making. The i-STAT System has the industry’s most comprehensive menu of tests in a single, with-patient platform, including tests for blood gases, electrolytes, chemistries, coagulation, hematology, glucose, and cardiac markers. By delivering lab-quality results in minutes, our i-STAT System fosters a collaborative, patient-centered environment while driving improved operational performance.
Our Medical Affairs Team has an opportunity for a Medical Science Liaison (MSL). The MSL is the medical/scientific voice of expertise for Abbott Point of Care (APOC) products and therapeutic areas. This field-based role focuses on medical & scientific engagement with APOC stakeholders. He/she will provide medical/scientific expert advice and guidance to key customers for APOC products & relevant therapeutic areas, including scientific exchange & professional development with key thought leaders and external experts. He/she will provide medical/scientific affairs support to the APOC commercial team.
The MSL serves to support the scientific credibility of APOC with established and emerging national & regional thoughts leaders, by supporting scientific dialogue and collaboration in areas of research, scientific publications, and medical & scientific exchange, including unsolicited requests for medical information. They also interface regularly with appropriate commercial team members. They maintain a high level of knowledge to ensure credible dissemination of scientific information and dialogue with thoughts leaders, healthcare providers and healthcare organizations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide scientific and medical leadership, by presenting scientific, clinical and educational materials to KOLs and academic centers, and professional organizations to gain awareness, acceptance, and advocacy of products and credible relationships with thought leaders and external experts of strategic importance to APOC.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with Global Tier 1 KOLs and academic centers that are of commercial and research relevance, discuss collaborative research opportunities and relevance to APOC.
- Serve as a point of contact within the medical and scientific affairs team for thought leaders and external experts within an assigned geographic area in order to satisfy their needs for scientific knowledge in a therapeutic area and relevant APOC product.
- When requested, provide training and support safe, effective and appropriate use of the APOC products.
- Provide clinical and product training with presentations on scientific matters to health care providers, individually or in groups (meetings, clinical sessions, etc.), where requested, with the focus on Tier 1 and 2 thought leaders at academic centers, in clinical practice and at national congresses.
- Provide an ongoing list of selected appropriately qualified thought leaders whom APOC would wish to engage in collaborative efforts – such as educational and advisory roles (Advisory Boards, Congresses, Symposia, Principal Investigators for clinical studies etc.) while ensuring a high level of scientific, educational integrity in these collaborative efforts.
- Attend relevant scientific meetings and conferences.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop summaries of key data and other scientifically relevant information from the congresses to inform APOC of strategic priorities and initiatives from a clinical and scientific perspective.
- Staff the Medical Affairs area of the exhibit booth at national scientific meetings and congresses.
- Answer off label questions re: the use of APOC products from a clinical and scientific perspective
- Respond to questions re: APOC clinical scientific data, IIS queries, data interpretation, etc.
- Drive publications and presentations of products based on data and materials collected from KOLs
- Ensure that all activities and interactions are conducted with due regard to all applicable local and national laws, regulations, guidelines, codes of conduct, company policies and accepted standards of best practice.
- Coordinate and execute regional education and scientific symposia
- Conduct and assist with medical content review and professional communication materials and key advocacy initiatives with KOLs and professional organizations.
- Incumbent will cover a territory consisting of multiple states and expected travel is 75%.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 6-10 years of clinical/medical affairs experience, preferably in medical device industry
- Understanding of the clinical laboratory, assay/instrument principles involving in vitro diagnostic product design and usage, and the scientific, statistical, regulatory and compliance requirements of clinical research.
- Medical Information, Regulatory Affairs, and/or Medical Communications experience in the diagnostics/medical device/pharmaceutical industry is preferred.
- Influence and lead both with and without direct authority.
- Ability to clearly, concisely, and accurately communicate (written and oral)
- Ability to confidently speak in public, lead meetings and group discussions
- Form and develop long-term strategic and professional relationships; display socially and professionally appropriate behavior.
- Ability to work independently and in groups
- Demonstrated leadership skills, initiative, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree (Masters or PhD, MD or other doctorate) is preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.