Vice President & General Manager (32901_Lansing)
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I: Job Summary
The Vice President & General Manager provides strategic site leadership to achieve short- and long-term goals of the business while engaging and aligning multiple stakeholders across the enterprise. Primary responsibility is to provide oversight of day to day and strategic operations of the manufacturing and/or fill/finish facility for internal and CDMO products and services.
Further, the incumbent contributes to the development of enterprise Corporate Operating Plan and is accountable for managing the execution of the plan at the site(s) under their direction.
Planning and Strategy
- Aligns, sets and communicates site strategy to business unit and enterprise strategy.
- Collaborates and partners with business units and functions on strategic initiatives and operational requirements.
- Leads the site in the development and execution of the annual Hoshin plan goals/annual improvement priorities and assures alignment to these goals.
- Proactively plans for changing conditions and achieve growth goals and revenue targets.
- Provides input in developing the enterprise Corporate Operating Plan (COP), aligns site Hoshin plan to COP and manages the execution of the plan.
- Provides leadership for overall manufacturing Operations and ensures production efficiency, product quality, and timely product delivery.
- Leads contract negotiation activities for CDMO operations.
- Provides technical support in process and operations area; technology transfer; and new business/contract due diligence.
- Collaborates with quality and regulatory functions to provide cross-functional direction, alignment and adherence.
- Optimize COGs by controlling costs, labor, competitive pricing, lean management, etc.
- Drives cross-functional collaboration as well as inter-site collaboration in the advancement of our portfolio and product development efforts.
- Drives strategic growth of the site in alignment with our short and long-term strategic plans as an organization, including enhanced facility utilization as a key asset in our growth strategy.
- Ensure all site operations operate in a compliant manner, honoring both the letter and spirit of relevant policies and regulations.
- Partners with OE to improve performance to plan metrics around Safety, Quality, Delivery, Economics and People.
Leadership and Engagement
- Leads by example in line with Emergent core values and core competencies.
- Actively supports and champions talent management initiatives including ongoing leadership/employee development and succession planning.
- Partners with leaders in strengthening employee engagement across the site.
- Fosters a culture committed to innovation and operational excellence.
- Communicates company and cross-functional information effectively to the site.
- Provides leadership and direction to the site leadership team (SLT).
- Actively promotes and supports eGIVE program and engages with civic leaders to improve local communities
- Works with peers to actively partner in process optimization and harmonization efforts across the enterprise.
- Provides support to enterprise due diligence and integration activities as required.
- Collaborates across the site to integrate enterprise initiatives into Hoshin planning and resource allocation activities.
Financial & Resource Management
• Accountable to review, understand and escalate issue with site P&L.
• Ensures site meets or exceeds financial targets for expenses and COG’s.
- Leads site budget process and oversees annual budgets for manufacturing functions.
- Responsible for overall expense versus budget management of the site and the drive for cost structure optimization
- Accountable for site capital planning process and approves local capital project within authorization matrix limits.
- Establishes sustained, productive and effective relations with key customers, suppliers, the FDA & other government agencies.
- Represents the site during regulatory audits and on major issues with primary customers.
- Assure customer satisfaction; deliver services to each client to the extent of the approved contract using good business practices and resolve issues in a quality and timely manner
- Helps to create a positive reputation of Emergent, locally and beyond, through building strong external relationships in the community.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
III: Education, Experience & Skills
• Bachelors’ degree or equivalent preferably in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Engineering, or related field. Masters’ degree or PhD preferred.
• 10+ years progressively responsible experience in pharmaceutical manufacturing leadership required; biologics or aseptic experience preferred.
• Experience working in a matrixed environment is preferred.
• A strong leader, communicator, and morale builder.
• Strong experience in strategic management, planning and execution.
• Knowledge of regulatory and quality (cGMP) requirements.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Skills in assessing and optimizing operations and organizational structures.
• Experience in formulating, developing and implementing new strategies and initiatives while consulting and engaging multiple stakeholders.
• Aptitude to evaluate overall resources and adjust to meet corporate goals.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our [Register to View]
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.