Sr. Associate Scientist - Protein Chemistry
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb in San Diego is seeking a motivated individual with experience in protein purification and biochemical assays to join the Small Molecule Structural Biology and Proteomics West team in San Diego. The successful candidate will work with our team to purify proteins of interest, assess their stability and aggregation state, and test them in various biochemical and biophysical studies. The ideal candidate will be proficient in the purification of recombinant proteins for use in structural biology from E. coli , insect and mammalian cells, and have expertise using a range of protein chromatography and protein characterization techniques. BMS is a world leader in discovering novel therapeutics that harness the ubiquitin-proteasome system, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to learn about this innovative drug discovery space, working with cross-functional project teams to enable novel drug discovery. Recent publications from our group include:
- Manage and perform the design of constructs and expression of proteins of interest in E. coli. Experience in expressing proteins in insect and mammalian cells would be advantageous.
- Purify protein targets on various scales of interest for assays and structural studies.
- Characterize purified proteins by various biochemical and biophysical approaches.
- B.S. or M.S. in biology/chemistry/biochemistry with 5+ years of pharmaceutical industrial experience in protein purification, structural biology, or drug discovery for senior associate and 8+ years for experience for scientist.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry/structural biology with 0-2 years of pharmaceutical industrial experience in protein purification, structural biology, or drug discovery for scientist.
- Substantial experience with designing protein constructs for structural biology.
- Substantial experience with affinity (His, GST, MBP, and/or Avi tags), ion exchange and size exclusion chromatography techniques as applied to proteins.
- Experience with E. coli protein expression is required. Experience with insect and mammalian cell culture (e.g., expi293 cells) would be advantageous.
- Experience with common methods for protein characterization including SDS-PAGE, western blotting, and spectrophotometry is required.
- Experience with AKTA FPLCs is required, and experience in the production of highly pure proteins for use in structural biology is preferred. Previous experience characterizing protein samples by LC-MS would be advantageous.
- Experience with biophysical characterization, protein crystallization, or cryoEM techniques would be advantageous but are not required.
- Applicants must have strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary to report on and deliver scientific presentations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word is required.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to . Visit[Register to View] target="_blank"> [Register to View] to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.