Director, Facilities and Engineering (R1557220-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
This role leads the Facilities and Engineering team of approx. 20 at the BMS Cell Therapy manufacturing facility in Bothell, WA and will directly report into the Site Head. This role is responsible for the development, implementation and the continuous improvement of safe, compliant and effective engineering activity in support of multiproduct clinical and commercial GMP autologous CAR-T drug product manufacturing operations. The scope of the role covers site equipment and facilities maintenance and calibration programs, facility master planning, capital planning & execution and management of the engineering and facilities operating budgets.
The individual is a key leader on the Site Leadership Team and is accountable for building and sustaining a capable Facilities and Engineering team that is responsible for delivering the reliable and uninterrupted operation of the plant, critical equipment and facility projects, a balanced / prioritized capital portfolio and continuous improvement activity (both intra and inter department) that will have a direct impact on the growth and success of the Bothell site. The ideal candidate will have a track record of talent management, nurturing and driving a culture of collaboration, continuous improvement and alignment between various functions and departments on site and across the network, to ensure that major site & business strategic manufacturing objectives are met. The role requires close partnership with the BMS Facilities and Engineering global community to support broader BMS goals.
This person is a key leader at the site and has significant responsibility for delivering on critical business expectations and managing a department that will have a direct impact on the growth and success of the BMS cell therapy franchise and its impact on our patients. This role is ideal for a ‘people first’ engineering leader, who sees their success through guiding and developing their team to deliver on commitments for the site and broader cell therapy network. Experience in clinical and commercial manufacturing is preferred due to the nature of the BMS cell therapy portfolio and the sites responsibility for pivotal clinal and commercial launch activity.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BS/MS in relevant Science or Engineering discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years’ experience (including 5+ years in a senior management role) in GMP engineering & operations.
- Background in Protein Biologics or Cell Therapy Manufacturing preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of GMP & environmentally compliant Facility and Engineering operations. (Including national & international regulatory requirements)
- Strong knowledge of Pharma technologies and infrastructure (HVAC & Utilities, process equipment, automation, maintenance systems, waste water)
- Strong critical thinking and decision making.
- Solid knowledge in the validation of equipment, utilities, and systems.
- Strong experience in the capital planning & project management.
- Experience in building and developing engineering competency, talent and performance to support successful manufacturing operations.
- Experience in Engineering excellence programs – Reliability, Maintenance, Capital Management & Execution, Environmental & Vendor Management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads the Facilities and Engineering department at the Jump Manufacturing Plant. This includes:
- Providing the vision and leadership to build and sustain an exceptional Facilities and Engineering team to operate and maintain Juno GMP Cell Therapy Manufacturing Plant, including hiring, mentoring and developing staff.
- Champions a progressive culture of world class GMP Manufacturing Operations
- Leads the development, implementation, and adherence to all GMP procedures and policies related to Manufacturing operations
- Works with key stakeholders to develop execution plans to increase capacity and throughput of operations
- Champions the implementation of new technologies and systems
- Using strong communication and teamwork skills to build strong relationships with site, network and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates outstanding technical acumen, operational understanding and GMP compliance, Building Management and running the Facility and Engineering Department.
- Provides key leadership for interactions with Regulatory agencies and AHJs (e.g., FDA, OSHA, L&I, City of Bothell).
- Ensures all staff maintain appropriate level of training
- Identifies and mitigates risks in facility operations that could negatively impact safety, quality, delivery, cost, or personnel
- Establishes and effectively manages annual operating budgets for all Facility and Engineering activity on site
- Ensures proper execution of activities associated with capital project management including:
- Works collaboratively with the Project Directors/Leads from Manufacturing, Quality, Process Engineering and Validation on all aspects of facility design, construction, qualification and start-up. Including development of project scope and user requirements.
- Liaison with local external / governmental stakeholders.
- Management of Preliminary engineering / Feasibility studies and cost estimates.
- Stewardship of capital management processes and provision of capital expenditure documentation creation and approval in partnership with global engineering and finance.
- Implement global engineering process standards and project documentation; scoping documents, RFP’s, CAR’s, budget tracking, scheduling, commissioning, qualification and project handover.
- Management of construction and engineering activities.
- Ensure engineering documentation is prepared in accordance with all applicable codes and regulations.
- Implement, sustain, and improve facility maintenance and calibration programs including:
- Ensures that production facilities are maintained at a high standard, equipment maintenance and calibrations are performed, and validation protocols and reports are reviewed and approved
- Management of facilities and equipment related vendors including: Security Personnel, grounds, pest control, HVAC maintenance, instrumentation and janitorial
- Oversight of Site Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and Building Automation System (BAS)
- Supports Business Continuity Planning & execution activity where required.
- Establishes and delivers maintenance excellence activity to drive customer service, cost and labor efficiency in support of overall operational success.
- Provides leadership to site in the development and execution of site safety activity:
- Line Managers shall maintain a safe and healthy work environment for their staff in areas under their control and shall ensure compliance with relevant rules and legislation in those areas.
- Work with EHS to evaluate hazards and perform risk analysis.
- Ensure that staff (including short duration and temporary contracts) is properly informed on hazards and trained to act in consequence.
- Promote safe practices and behaviors, verify EHS rules are implemented and respected.
- Report immediately all incidents and near-misses to EHS, participate in investigations and identify preventive measures to prevent similar accidents in the future.
- Acts as Incident Commander during Fire Drills and Business Continuity Events.
WORKING CONDITIONS (US Only):
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. The primary duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. There are other duties and responsibilities that are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of this job. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to . Visit[Register to View] target="_blank"> [Register to View] to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.