Head of Innovation in Care, OBU Global Medical (R-139297_Gaithersburg)
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Medical Affairs in Oncology? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the Global Head of Innovation role in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
In OBU Medical, we are committed to creating an exemplary organization that builds on our solid foundation of embracing digital solutions and innovation to increase capacity and delivery for our patients, simply and consistently. As part of project aMAze, we are re-aligning our medical organization to create clear career pathways and new development opportunities.
We have exciting times ahead here at OBU Medical and have started looking towards our next generation of leadership that will help usprepare for the significant portfolio growth and rapid integration of life-changing medicines for our patients.
Our new Global Head of Innovation will lead us in building a cohesive innovation strategy across the OBU Medical organization to transform how Medical leverages the evolution in patient care and supports new innovative models.
The world and our industry is continually evolving and changing and as a strategic business critical function, the Medical organisation needs to be patient centric, agile and future focused seizing opportunities on how we meet the needs of the patient and deliver our amazing portfolio.
We are seeing more health innovation technologies, approaches and opportunities emerging that we should be leveraging to better understand and transform the patient journey.
Reporting to the SVP OBU Medical, the Head of Health Innovation, is a new position that has the responsibility for operating across the OBU Medical organisation, to build a cohesive innovation strategy to transform how Medical leverage and operate to understand the evolution in patient care and support new innovative models.
Key relationships will included Tumour/Franchise Vice Presidents, VP for Medical Excellence & Information, VP for Medical Generation, and VP for Medical Excellence.
- Responsible for providing executive leadership, strategy development and deployment of initiatives and activities associated with Care Innovation for Global OBU Medical
- Contribute through collaboration and partnering with the Global Oncology Medical Leadership Team in driving the vision and implementation of the unified Global Medical Strategy.
- Will lead on behalf of the Medical Organisation on external research and evaluation of Health Care and Pharma industry leading trends and developments in respect to care solutions and initiatives focused on patient care, novel health technologies, and new care solutions.
- Accountable for shaping and implementing the OBU Medical vision and strategy specific to innovation in care and identifying synergies across the medical organisation to enable the delivery of a industry leading multiple indication pipeline
- The role will work across the Medical organisation to identify opportunities for innovation in care excellence with the aim to create simplification, agile lean processes in an efficient and productive manner across the organisation
- Will plan, design and lean on the holistic Medical Affairs platform strategy, working cross-functionally to ensure best-fit and innovative solutions to enable effective information sharing and collaboration, harmonizing communications tactics, tools, and materials across the organization
- Identifying gaps in execution efficiency, and developing innovative approaches via platform strategy to address gaps
- Develop and lead Medical cross-functional patient journey mapping processes that incorporates internal and external expert/stakeholder input to identify areas of highest need across tumor types and quantify these unmet need areas to identify where innovation would be most valuable.
- Accountable for translating various parallel strategic initiatives across AZ and the OBU into a consolidated, comprehensive and actionable plan, ensuring that enterprise solutions are understood and leveraged as part of Medical vision
- Shares strategic outcomes of potential novel opportunities, including external partnerships and future investments outlining benefits from a cost and quality perspective and demonstrating the functions return on investment (ROI) and benefit for the patient.
- Represent Global Medical as required at internal enterprise level innovations in care forums and external Health Innovation events
- Accountable for defining, planning and managing Innovation in care budget
- Minimum 8+ years of senior leadership/specialized experience of in pharma/life sciences and/or medical experience (e.g. significant clinical/academic/medical affairs agency roles/organisations)
- Advanced Scientific degree strongly preferred e.g. MD, PhD, PharmD)
- Recognised as a subject matter Oncology expert
- Strong experience and ability to lead and provide strategic leadership across functional working groups and teams within a complex matrix organisation
- Exceptional stakeholder and communication skills with a strong situational Influencing style/ability
- Strong demonstrable experience in leading, promoting, motivating and empowering others to accomplish individual, team and organisational objectives
- Extensive experience and ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organisational relationships
- Demonstratable experience of developing strategy and translating strategy into action plans
- Experience of leading large/complex Innovation and transformative strategies with a direct link to improving patient care
- Experience of applying novel techniques and technologies as catalyst for change
- Experience of external research and benchmarking health care solutions
- Experience of applying RPA and implementing novel solutions to manage and interpret “big data”
- Strong analytical interpretation and communication capability translating clinical trial and published data into strong scientific narratives for various audiences
- Oncology medical experience
- End to end lean process review/mapping preferably in a medical/science arena is desirable
- Development of digital health platforms and solutions
- Leading ecosystem partnerships at scale
- Experience building and developing a new function/specialist area
- Direct experience of managing/leading individuals teams would be advantageous
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn [Register to View]
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook [Register to View]
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram [Register to View]
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements.