Global Strategic Sourcing Category Manager (R-144891)
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
You’ve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge you’ve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Global Category Manager – Distribution and WarehousingLive
What you will do
Let’s do this! Let’s change the world. In this vital role you will report into the Raw Materials, Device and Distribution Vertical Lead within Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) and will be responsible for ~$250M spend within the Distribution and Warehousing categories. The Global Category Manager will be accountable for developing and leading the overall sourcing strategy and supplier management processes for these categories in collaboration with key business partners within the Operations organization and other impacted functions. The Global Category Manager ‘s role will focus on leading the strategy definition and implementation which will shape management of the category, with a focus on productivity opportunities, speed to market, quality, and compliance.Strategic Contribution
- Drive the global roadmap for sourcing by identifying, evaluating, negotiating and integrating forecasted needs within the category portfolio
- Develop strong, trust-based, mutually beneficial relationships with key internal partners / groups and with key providers in current and future markets
- Act as a trusted business advisor, providing thought leadership and consistent customer service to business partners
- Provide subject matter advice in regard to the external supply market
- Collaborate with business partners to produce business case recommendations for identified opportunities
- Act as an ambassador for the GSS function and be the key point of contact for the categories
- Partner with key leaders to drive improved relationships and communications with areas and teams that support facilities, MRO, and utilities categories, including ex-US regions
- Collaborate with Stakeholders in the identification, evaluation and qualification of new Suppliers and Service Providers to support the categories
- Partner with Stakeholders to manage escalated supplier performance issues
- Partner with Stakeholders on the development of fit-for-purpose Supplier Relationship Management programs that will realize incremental value to the company
- Effectively drive cross-category collaboration where ‘overlapping’ partner groups, geographic regions and / or requirements exist
- Respond and adapt to evolving and complex business needs, innovation trends and supply market dynamics
- Manage, minimize and mitigate supply/contractual/regulatory risk by using other key Amgen functions where appropriate (Legal, Compliance, Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, Audit etc.)
- Lead complex RFPs including strong commercial negotiations, leading supplier evaluations and contractual negotiations in collaboration with collaborators and business partners (Legal, Compliance, Audit, etc.)
- Partner with category collaborators to understand and develop long term forecasts that can be used to develop and implement multi-year category strategies
- Build a pipeline of value-adding category projects as the global lead in collaboration with relevant GSS regional / category peers and key business partners
- Bring and grow industry / business function-specific knowledge and experience
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Sourcing professional we seek is a Manager with these qualifications.
Basic Qualifications:Doctorate degree
Master’s degree and 2 years of Strategic Sourcing experienceOr
Bachelor’s degree and 4 years of Strategic Sourcing experienceOr
Associate’s degree and 10 years of Strategic Sourcing experienceOr
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Strategic Sourcing experience
Preferred Qualifications:Category Experience
- Knowledge and experience within Distribution and Warehousing categories, including industry dynamics, supply base, legal & regulatory environment
- Experience in interacting and collaborating with Global Supply Chain, Site leadership, Finance, and Legal
- Solid understanding of procurement / sourcing / category management methodology
- Experience and knowledge to develop and implement a successful category strategy
- Ability to drive value for customers by using the right sourcing levers
- Strong negotiator with the ability to drive value for business partners and suppliers through strategic supplier agreements
- Track record in establishing strong Statements of Work / Service Level Agreements, and ensuring supplier performance
- Understands the Source to Pay processes including managing sourcing projects in Scout (or equivalent e-sourcing tools), including the completion of online RFx and e-Auctions
- Ability to analyze spend data and present insights based on the needs of the audience
- Can conform to shifting priorities and have ability to drive multiple simultaneous project implementations
- Ability to deliver complex multi-regional and/or global projects in a matrixed and global environment
- Ability to conduct benchmarking to address cost, quality, risk and innovation considerations
- Ability to lead teams in a matrix organization, across geographies enabling successful transition and operational change for the business
- Consistent track record of identifying root causes to issues and proactive problem solving of complex organizational needs
- Strong oral and written communication / presentation skills
- Proven ability to collaborate with diverse partner groups
- Ability to influence and shape strategy with partners at all levels including Amgen senior management
- Independent self-starter with ability to motivate others to accomplish ambiguous tasks
- Proficiency in MS Office tools, ERP systems etc.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20%
- Broad knowledge of the market forces shaping Amgen’s business context (e.g. supplier base, legal & regulatory environment, sources of driven advantage)
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and increase your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan—comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits—with compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.[Register to View]
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.