Process Engineer I - Lab Specialist (R1558522-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis. Our cell therapy platforms focus around two distinct and complementary technologies Chimeric Antigen Receptors (CARs) and T-Cell Receptors (TCRs). Our goal is to revolutionize medicine by re-engaging the body’s immune system to treat cancer.
Come, join the BMS Cell Therapy Development and Operations (CTDO) Division, and be a part of the team building leading cell therapy platforms to serve our patients with novel cellular immunotherapies. The Global Manufacturing Science and Technology (GMS&T) Division of CDTO plays a critical role in technology transfers, process validation, CMC life cycle management, technical oversight of external and internal manufacturing partners, process engineering and establishing manufacturing standards to enable a robust and scalable global cell therapy manufacturing network.
We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
We are looking for a Process Engineer- Lab Specialist to join our Vector and Gene Delivery MS&T group in GMS&T.
The successful candidate will support efforts related to the execution of experimental plans to support commercial vector manufacturing processes. The Specialist/Engineer I will be responsible to support the maintenance of vector MS&T lab equipment, development of documentation (Lab procedures, Protocols, Forms, etc.), the execution of experimental protocols, and support of PPQ strategies and commercial manufacturing.
This person will collaborate across all CMC functional areas to insure project advancement, rapid and best in class execution, and communication of challenges/opportunities. The Specialist/Engineer I will play a key role in product lifecycle management, including strategic development, characterization, commercialization, and evolution of cell therapy products. This position reports to the Associate Director of Vector and Gene Deliver MS&T – Seattle, WA
- The initial focus area for this position is to support the onboarding of the new Vector MS&T lab in Seattle. This includes but not limited to support the receipt and installation of ordered equipment, develop lab SOPs and work instructions, and setup of the lab space.
- Support the design and execution of studies to support commercial manufacturing deviation investigations.
- Support the design and execution of process characterization studies.
- Collaborate with commercial vector team to identify opportunities for process improvements
- Support the implementation of new technologies and procedures from Development into Manufacturing
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, etc:
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in cross-functional teams, meet deadlines, and prioritize multiple projects.
- Able to creatively manage time and elevate relevant issues to project lead and line management.
- Strong scientific and technical writing
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior experience working in lab environment preferred
- Prior experience executing experiments to support cGMP investigations preferred
- Prior experience in/knowledge of cell culture, viral vector manufacturing, recovery and/or purification of viral vector product in a manufacturing environment preferred
- Prior experience with SOPs, cGMPs and how they are applied within a regulatory environment required
- Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemical or Chemical Engineering, or equivalent area of related experience in biologics upstream manufacturing: Minimum preferred of a [Register to View] with 4+ years or a [Register to View] degree with 1+ years or Ph.D. degree
- Preference given to candidates with experience performing process characterization
- Knowledge of cellular immunology and/or vector manufacturing a plus
- Experience with cGMP, and ICH guidelines
- Proficiency utilizing MS Office products and working knowledge of statistical software (R, JMP, Minitab)
- Experience working in a self-driven, performance/results oriented, fast paced matrix environment
- Experience with disposable technologies such as flatware, SUBs and SUMs
- Experience writing experimental plans and protocols
- Position requires repetitive use of hands and wrist (computer work), and infrequent lifting of items not to exceed 50 lbs
- Occasional bending, twisting, and stooping to allow for gowning into classified environment required
- Position will require time in the office and lab
- Position is a team & project-based position that will require occasional shift work, weekends, and holidays
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to . Visit[Register to View] target="_blank"> [Register to View] to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.