Clinical Laboratory Operations Director (31027766)
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Clinical Laboratory Operations Director
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of .
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Santa Rosa location in the Rapid Diagnostics divison. We’re empowering smarter medical and economic decision making to help transform the way people manage their health at all stages of life. Every day, more than 10 million tests are run on Abbott’s diagnostics instruments, providing lab results for millions of people. Our rapid diagnostics solutions are helping address some of the world’s greatest healthcare challenges.
The position of Clinical Laboratory Operations Director is within is within our Toxicology business unit. This role will be responsible for ensuring smooth operation of the lab and the on-time delivery of results within established turn-around time (TAT). The role will have direct reports and will need to have a understanding of Clinical Laboratory Testing methodologies and method development.
What You’ll Work On
- Provide day-to-day supervision and work direction for assigned personnel; ensure adequate coverage within approved headcount to meet TAT requirements.
- Determine the human and material resources required to maintain optimal production workflows and coordinating the requests for resources (human and material) with the Laboratory Site Operations Director to ensure adequacy of resources.
- Hire department staff and perform safety and orientation training; Interact with HR on new hires, performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, and terminations.
- Provide personnel training on new and/or revised procedures, processes, policies, and equipment and maintain the appropriate documentation.
- Serve as an information resource/conduit between team and Site Leadership and strive to keep their team engaged and motivated
- Monitoring production standards and implementing quality assurance programs in the department in consultation with the QA manager.
- Develops, and monitors budgets and resource allocations; and identifies and implements strategies to reduce costs, control utilization, and improve service quality.
- Partner in the designing and implementing the lab safety program, to include hazardous waste management, chemical hygiene plan, and injury prevention program, are additional areas of oversight.
- Participating in laboratory management meetings and liaising with different departments, e.g., QA, EHS etc.
- Working with other managers to implement the company's policies and goals.
- Oversees and develops clinical practice standards, quality improvement, and risk management activities; establishes and maintains effective collaborative working relationships
- Ensuring that health and safety guidelines are followed. Suggesting improvements or changes as necessary.
- Ensuring that a professional work environment is maintained at all times.
- Managing, supervising and motivating workers to promote a team concept.
- Facilitate & ensure timely completion of competency assessments for testing personnel; identify and address training gaps; ensure currency of testing personnel qualifications .
- Develops processes to maintain and ensure on-going staff development
- Ensure all processes are performed in accordance with established SOPs; update SOPs to accurately reflect lab processes where necessary
- Ensure all required regulatory monitoring and documentation is performed in a timely manner; identify gaps and address.
- Monitor performance of analytical methods and report issues to the R & D Manager.
- Report and co-ordinate the troubleshooting of any IT related issues (Tox 2 etc.).
- Document corrective actions on errors identified.
- Complete and provide the QA report for the department to the Lab Director, CLIA and the Laboratory Site Operations Director on a monthly basis.
- Conduct and oversee department Tier Meetings; monitor productivity standards and implement improvement programs.
- Assist in ensuring quality control / assurance policies comply with State of Calif., CLIA ’88, and all other pertinent regulatory standards. As well as an understanding of other regulatory inspection bodies such as CAP.
- BA in Clinical Chemistry, Medical Technology, Biomedical Engineering or, related chemical or biological sciences
- California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) License
- 5 – 8 years of progressively responsible laboratory experience in a high complexity testing environment with at least 5 years in a supervisory or leadership role.
- Working knowledge of clinical laboratory testing with at least three years’ experience in clinical method and lab development.
- A Master’s degree or higher in Clinical Chemistry or Medical Laboratory Sciences.
- Extensive knowledge of all clinical testing to include toxicology testing and analyses and 5+ years’ experience in a combination Clinical R/D, Biotechnology or clinical labs.
* Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: [Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.