Tissue and Cell Biologist (338668)
“Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought” (Albert Szent-Gyorgyi)
Are you a highly creative and innovative scientist, interested in using new and existing technologies to develop human relevant cell and tissue models, willing to take smart risks and being driven by scientific data?
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG-RU) is seeking a tissue and cell biologist with strong expertise in histological technique as well as cell/tissue culture experience to drive drug discovery for preclinical projects.
The successful candidate will lead precision cut tissue slice (PCTS) work across multiple therapeutic areas with primary emphasis on projects related to neurodegenerative, neuroinflammatory, and metabolic disease. PCTS culture technology is currently used to validate novel human genetic targets, to understand their mechanisms of action and to confirm target engagement and the effects on disease phenotypes of biological or chemical molecules in live healthy and disease relevant tissues.
The scientist will join a team with expertise in cutting-edge technologies including human and animal PCTS culture, molecular histology, complex in-vitro and ex-vivo models, and high content imaging. A collegial environment provides the candidate with the opportunity to interact with internal experts from multiple disciplines (e.g. AI/ML, statistics, complex in-vitro models, in vivo biologists).
As a cell and tissue biologist, one of your major goals will be to develop and use human relevant models to increase the probability that your data will translate to patients. As such, you will utilize human tissue and primary human cells; animal tissue will be used as needed in collaboration with internal in vivo groups.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
- Use a broad knowledge of histotechnique including but not limited to microtomy, cryotomy, brightfield and fluorescent microscopy, automated immunohistochemistry (IHC), and in situ hybridization (ISH) to develop, validate, and run assays that address project team needs.
- Develop and validate PCTS models using human tissue either independently or in collaboration with CROs and other team members.
- Develop and evaluate automated and/or machine learning (AI) algorithms using Image Analysis software (e.g. HALO, Visiopharm) software to generate quantitative analytical data.
- Maximize information from imaging readouts by engaging colleagues from the AI/ML and Research Statistics teams.
- Use histological findings and data to inform development of human relevant cell-based models of disease to progress drug discovery.
- Independently execute laboratory experiments, conduct statistically supported data analyses, and present results in a timely manner to enable informed decision making.
- Clearly record in electronic lab notebooks and communicate study results at internal and external meetings.
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK’s values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- MS degree with at least 3 years of experience in human neuroscience, pharmacology, physiology, or pathology.
- Working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and histology to facilitate data interpretation and communication of findings to project teams.
- Extensive practical experience in the experimental design, execution and data analysis for precision cut tissue slice (PCTS) work.
- Expertise in automated staining platforms (e.g. Ventana, Leica), microscopy, image analysis software (e.g. HALO, Visiopharm) and whole slide imaging platforms.
- Strong interest in the novel application of data science and visualization techniques to disseminate data internally and externally.
- Experience independently designing, executing and interpreting high-quality experiments.
- Experience with communication skills, and experiences with analytic software used to visualize complex data sets.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD or equivalent in neuroscience, pharmacology, physiology, or pathology.
- Evidence of leading new technology initiatives, working with commercial partners to evaluate and implement new technologies relevant to tissue culture methodology and tissue biology techniques (procedures and instrumentation).
- Hands on working experience with image analysis and ex vivo organotypic brain slice culture.
- Experience using automated staining platforms and whole slide scanners.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to support and influence projects.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly when needed.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Open to suggestions and experimentation to drive the science in the field of interest.
- Highly committed, enthusiastic, self-motivated, inspirational and demonstrate a passion for learning.
- Good data presentation skills and abilities of explaining new technologies.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with peers in a team.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigor and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.