Associate Scientist, Product Sciences- Cell Therapy (R1559700-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Cell Therapy is one of the most groundbreaking new forms of cancer treatments being studied today. With therapies only in their infancy and BMS’s continued investment in our Cell Therapy capabilities, the growth potential of this science, your career, and the ability to help patients are incredible.
Purpose And Scope Of Position:
The Cell Therapy Product Sciences department is seeking an Associate Scientist to support the development of gene engineered T cell products. Product Sciences is responsible for developing and executing mechanism of action and characterization studies to support the development of gene-engineered T cell therapies. The primary focus of the Associate Scientist/ Scientist - Product Sciences role will be to build CAR/TCR T cell product and process understanding in support of early and late stage CAR T with a particular focus on exploratory/investigational needs for late-stage programs. Successful candidates will have a strong foundation in human T cell biology and/or other immune cell types. Experience with implementation and optimization of a broad range of in vitro cell-based and molecular assays is critical (especially multi-color flow cytometry and cell culture). This role is highly collaborative and requires attention to detail, a healthy sense of urgency, a strong desire to learn, and a passion for exploratory and investigational science. Furthermore, a demonstrated ability to support cross-functional teams and independently design and execute studies to meet project goals is highly desirable (albeit not a requirement and will depend on the applicant’s individual qualifications).
Duties And Responsibilities
Primarily, support late-stage drug product and manufacturing process understanding by performing exploratory studies and investigational analyses including experimental design and execution, statistical/correlative analyses of existing data sets, writing technical reports, presenting data, etc. Additionally, depending on the applicant’s individual qualifications, duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Design and deploy in-depth characterization of gene engineered T cells using flow cytometry, genome-wide expression analysis, metabolic profiling, and/or additional cutting-edge analytical techniques.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to support the development of gene engineered T cell therapeutic platforms.
- Identification and development of novel analytical approaches for interrogating gene engineered T cell function.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external collaborators and service providers.
- Serve as T cell biology subject matter expert in multidisciplinary team setting, that includes non-clinical, clinical, regulatory, and CMC functions.
- Perform and manage instrument and method troubleshooting
- Author, review, and approve technical documents, including methods, protocols, reports, and SOPs
- Learn and apply ICH/FDA/EMEA guidance and current thinking.
Associate Scientist Level: BS and 7+ years/MS and 4+ years in Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology, Bioengineering, or relevant discipline;
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Proven ability to collaborate in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, and prioritize work on multiple projects.
- Attention to detail and excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated expertise with multi-parameter flow cytometry and gene expression platforms
- Experience with data visualization software and/or coding-based data analysis (R, Python, JMP, etc.)
- Expertise in human immunology
- Expertise in human T cell biology and in vitro characterization of T cell differentiation and function.
- Demonstrated independence in experimental design, data analysis, interpretation, and presentation.
- Experience with standard and next generation analytical platforms for the characterization of T cell phenotype, differentiation, and function (microarray, NanoString, RNA-Seq, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles providing scientific mentorship.
- Experience authoring regulatory documents, including IND and BLA filings.
- Track record of successful internal and external scientific collaborations.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to . Visit[Register to View] target="_blank"> [Register to View] to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.