The Database Administration Services Director will provide strategic direction, management, maintenance, and support to business systems delivery within the relational database space. Possesses knowledge of industry tooling and best practices making recommendations in line with strategic objectives. Design and deliver technical and application architecture; manage standard technical products life cycle; provide technical consulting and support to business systems delivery; deliver applied technology solutions and innovation. Provide day to day management for the database administration team. Includes: education and growth opportunities for members of the team; budget; change and problem management. Display the ability to manage multi-discipline technology teams. Support includes, but is not limited to, innovate, design, implement and maintain data/process models and databases including access method analysis, access methods, performance, device allocation, data organization, protection and security and statistical methods including the development and monitoring of standards and procedures affecting models, database management, design and maintenance.
• Manages Level 1 Managers and Team Leaders
• Manages budgets, plans and expenses; may have cost center responsibilities
• Stays current with database technology trends and emerging leadership practices to effectively manage product portfolio in support of business needs
• Prepares and communicates organization activities
• Develops and mentor talent to meet the technology objectives of the dynamic organization
• Communicates expectations for employee performance, including the criteria that will be used to evaluate results
• Ensures positive results are rewarded. Sets clear direction on how staff will contribute to Company, Department and Unit objectives by setting challenging goals and planning how to achieve them
• Monitors progress and deviations and implement corrective action
• Ensures prompt corrective action is taken with employees who do not meet expectations
• Reflects results in Balanced Scorecards
• Recommends decisions involving pay and bonuses
• Monitors employee performance, solicits feedback and promptly provides both positive and negative feedback to employees
• Selects, develops and evaluates staff. Determine appropriate staffing levels
• Realigns organizational structure when appropriate. Ensures appropriate and timely training. Research training opportunities and establish training plans
• Ensures a clear understanding of the function’s services, employee roles and responsibilities, critical competencies and objectives/measures
• Ensures that the proper technologies/tools are available for employees to do their jobs
• Provides leadership/direction for major projects. Make decisions and is accountable for overall project success. Initiate projects and include them as part of the annual project planning process. Ensure adequate resources are available
• Communicates product plans and provide overall direction and department goals for employees
• Operates as a strategic and tactical leader with an ability to effectively manage a complex portfolio of strategic and tactical challenges
• Acts as the customer’s window to the organization and acts as the organization’s entry point to the customer
• Communicates relevant business topics and changes that may affect the organizational work
• Ensures that customer problems are solved in a timely and acceptable fashion
• Matches the right organizational services to customer needs in order to manage demands by educating customer and communicating with customer
• Where appropriate, aggregates services provided to customers in product sets, develop prices for those product sets and monitors profit/loss
• Collaborates and drives effective partnerships across the enterprise technology function to maximize alignment, efficiency, cost optimization and investments, and delivery.
The candidate should exhibit the following competencies:
- 6 year’s work experience that reflects a proven track record of leadership and proficiencies in setting direction and/or managing technology environments.
- Excellent critical thinking, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with senior levels of the organization
- Extensive knowledge of database administration, management, and related trends
- Continuous learner well informed on database technology trends and methodologies
- Ability to motivate others to facilitate impact and pace of change
- Able to build trusted and transparent partnerships between technology, business, and vendors
- Leadership skills to include bringing new ideas, insights, and knowledge, and helps drive the organization to implement new programs and solutions
- Ability to drive change across an organization while building a strong morale and culture
- Strong work ethic, ability to focus and determination when facing challenges
- BA / BS in Information technology, computer science, software and information systems, business, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
CVS Health requires certain colleagues to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including any booster shots if required), where allowable under the law, unless they are approved for a reasonable accommodation based on disability, medical condition, religious belief, or other legally recognized reasons that prevents them from being vaccinated.
You are required to have received at least one COVID-19 shot prior to your first day of employment and to provide proof of your vaccination status or apply for a reasonable accommodation within the first 10 days of your employment. Please note that in some states and roles, you may be required to provide proof of full vaccination or an approved reasonable accommodation before you can begin to actively work.
- MA / MS in Information technology, computer science, software and information systems, business, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Progressive track record leading change through a rapid period of transformation
- Ability to make quick decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment
- Experience in product-oriented organization and with Safe Agile
- A builder of talent who can empower and motivate teams
- Effective operation in matrix environments to develop alignment and maximize collaboration in a successful manner
4-year college degree or equivalent work experience at a minimum, 6+ years preferred.
Bring your heart to CVS Health
Every one of us at CVS Health shares a single, clear purpose: Bringing our heart to every moment of your health. This purpose guides our commitment to deliver enhanced human-centric health care for a rapidly changing world. Anchored in our brand — with heart at its center — our purpose sends a personal message that how we deliver our services is just as important as what we deliver.
Our Heart At Work Behaviors™ support this purpose. We want everyone who works at CVS Health to feel empowered by the role they play in transforming our culture and accelerating our ability to innovate and deliver solutions to make health care more personal, convenient and affordable.
We strive to promote and sustain a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging every day.
CVS Health is an affirmative action employer, and is an equal opportunity employer, as are the physician-owned businesses for which CVS Health provides management services. We do not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, promotion, or any other personnel action based on race, ethnicity, color, national origin, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.