Senior Data Scientist - Biomarker Discovery and Integrating Omics (US-REMOTE) (R-147139)
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you’re part of something bigger, it’s because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together—researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It’s time for a career you can be proud of.Senior Data Scientist - Biomarker Discovery and Integrating OmicsLive
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. We are actively seeking a highly qualified and motivated Senior Scientist with a strong background in Biomarker discovery, GWAS, bioinformatics, mammalian proteomics, systems genomics and deep learning/machine learning. The Senior Scientist will primarily support biomarker discovery efforts from preclinical to human samples to identify and validate biomarkers for treatment efficacy and patient stratification in clinical trials relevant to cardiac metabolic, inflammation and immune relevant disorders as well as cancers. The scientist will utilize human, preclinical, and molecular multi-omics data to conduct statistical and machine learning modeling as well as pathway/interactome network studies to accelerate breakthrough drug discovery and patient segmentation. The scientist will join the Biomics Data Science team within the Center for Research Advancement by Digital Innovation (CRADI), Amgen Research. CRADI is a multi-disciplinary effort embedded into our drug discovery engine that continually leverages advancement in genetics, genomics, proteomics, disease modeling, and computational biology to answer critical drug discovery questions from target inception through drug development. The successful candidate will have a track record of innovative and collaborative research demonstrated through peer-reviewed publications.
In this vital role you will design, develop, and carry out systems-genomics and systems-biology studies to model pathophysiology of diseases, to understand the mechanisms of action of potential therapeutic targets, and to support projects in the drug discovery pipeline, all while collaborating with internal and external data scientists. An ability to communicate clearly and collaborate effectively with colleagues from different fields will be essential.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design, conduct, interpret and report on GWAS and multi-omics studies that will accelerate the discovery of biomarkers on selective therapeutics and their validation.
- Design, conduct, interpret and report on multi-omics studies that will accelerate clinical trials via model development to predict patients’ response to the treatment as well as to predict patients’ progression.
- Leverage innovative machine and deep learning techniques integrating multi-omics, spatial omics and interactome data to discover and further characterize cross-modality associations relevant to disease risk and drug response, with a particular focus on accelerating biomarker discovery in cardiometabolic and immune/inflammation disorders.
- Work collaboratively with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- Manage, QC and analyze NGS-based human genetics, GWAS, proteomics, single-cell and bulk transcriptome, single-cell and bulk epigenome, metabolome as well as other omics data.
- Internalize and manage external multi-omics data available to Amgen.
- Work closely with research informatics department to build/implement searchable browsers and GUI in the Amgen cloud multi-omics computing platform, with a particular focus on visualizing and jointly interrogating proteomics and interactome data.
- Monitor, review and critically interpret published multi-omics data resources and analytical approaches to guide internal research
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a senior scientist with these qualifications.
Doctorate degree and 2 years of experience in bioinformatics, statistical genetics, quantitative genomics, deep learning/machine learning or relevant area experienceOr
Master’s degree and 5 years of experience in bioinformatics, statistical genetics, quantitative genomics, deep learning/machine learning or relevant area experienceOr
Bachelor’s degree and 7 years of experience in bioinformatics, statistical genetics, quantitative genomics, deep learning/machine learning or relevant area experience
- PhD in bioinformatics, multi-omics integration, quantitative genomics, biomarker discovery, deep learning/machine learning applied in biomedicine or relevant area with 5 years research experience (preference for industry/pharma)
- Fluency in R/Python/TensorFlow analytic techniques necessary for data analyses
- Experience working with cloud computing environment and data management
- Evidence of scientific independence and accomplishments
- Strong publication record of novel discovery or innovation
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, organizational, and presentation (oral or written) skills
- Outstanding mentoring skills across all levels
- Proven record of innovative thinking to propose and champion new ideas and solve problems.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.[Register to View]
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.