Project Manager, Operations
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott's Structural Heart Division has an exciting opportunity for a newly created position as an Operations Project Manager. Our business purpose is to restore health and improve quality of life through the design and provision of device and management solutions for the treatment of structural heart disease.
We are seeking an experienced, high caliber Project Manager who will have responsibility for planning and leading the resources and processes required for successful implementation of operations/sustaining engineering projects. The Project Manager is involved in the management of activities to ensure that scope and project plans are implemented in accordance with Abbott project methodologies, through proposal and project start up, execution and completion. This position is responsible for day-to-day direction of their matrixed project team and representing the team in project status reporting to all levels of Structural Heart management. Requires exemplary motivation, communication, organization skills, and attention to detail, as well as the ability to create and manage an effective team environment.
Location: St. Paul, MN
- Responsible for planning and leading the resources and processes required for successful implementation of operations/sustaining engineering projects.
- Leading global cross-functional project teams to drive supplier change projects, projects from New Product Development (NPD) to Operations and/or Continuous Project Improvement (CIP) projects in medical device manufacturing or in a regulated industry to achieve project objectives and schedule and establish project milestones and actions.
- Manage activities to ensure that scope and project plans are implemented in accordance with Abbott project methodologies through proposal and project start up, execution and completion.
- Responsible for day-to-day direction of their matrixed project team (R&D, Science & Technology, Operations, Manufacturing, Design Quality, Quality Engineering, Scheduling, Regulatory Affairs, Packaging, Labeling, Technical Publications, Planning etc.) and representing the team in project status reporting to all levels of Structural heart Management.
- Negotiate with functional managers to resolve resource issues and activities and delegate tasks appropriately to less experienced team members. determine when to escalate issues to appropriate levels of management
- Author Scaled Design Development plan to define project scope, schedule, milestones, assess deliverables, and project close out plan.
- Direct project execution by assigning tasks, tracking project schedules, identifying risks, and developing and executing contingency plans. Identify project issues and make recommendations for resolution. Identify resource requirements, cost & time schedules and take actions to ensure appropriate staffing to achieve project objectives. Identify critical project success factors for tracking, analysis, and reporting. Presenting project status, risks, issues, and revenue projections to upper management.
- Use Windchill (Product Lifecycle Management System), SAP (Enterprise Resource Management Software) and DAPTIV (Project and Portfolio Management Software) as needed. Approve purchase requisitions and send purchase requisition to management or appropriate person for approval.
- Select suppliers and vendors and work with external stakeholders to negotiate on price, due dates and procure capital equipment and raw materials. Communicate with vendors and suppliers located globally to achieve the objective of the project.
- Responsible for managing multiple, global, complex, cross-functional projects, from beginning to end, with accountability for project execution.
- Demonstrates appropriate leadership skills to influence others without direct authority
- Identifies project issues and makes recommendations for resolution
- Complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies and Business Units operating procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field
- Eight (8) years of medical device experience in R&D, Manufacturing and/or Quality Engineering
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate to all levels of the organization as well as Abbott suppliers and consultants
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional team members in a geographically diverse, matrixed organization
- Ability to initiate, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Project
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time domestically and/or internationally
- Master’s degree in a technical or business field
- PMP certification
- Familiarity with Windchill (Product Life-Cycle Management Document Management System) and SAP (Enterprise Resource Management software)
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: [Register to View]
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.