Senior Manager, R&D Finance
Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at [Register to View] style="font-size: 12.0pt;">www.astellas.com.
This position is based in Northbrook, Illinois. Remote work from certain states may be permitted in accordance with Astellas' Responsible Flexibility Guidelines. Candidates interested in remote work are encouraged to apply.
Purpose and Scope:
- The Senior Manager-R&D Finance is responsible for managing the Record to Report (RTR) activities for Medical Affairs and Development (M&D), but activities may expand, or contract based on business needs.
- This position ensures that financial records of all entities within Medical Affairs and Development functions are prepared in accordance with all statutory, regulatory and group reporting requirements.
- This position ensures that there is strong control environment over relevant accounting/finance processes and that relevant controls are performed and evidenced.
- This position manages the transactional accounting activity for R&D functions, Development and Medical Affairs, performed by Business Process Outsourcer (BPO) to achieve the objectives above.
- This role coordinates with the global M&D business owners of operational expenses to support them to achieve budget goals and improve processes more effectively.
- This role has important partnerships with Medical Affairs and Development Finance leadership, business partners, and other global team members within the R&D Finance team.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and annual global financial closing process and accounting services to provide timely and accurate internal management reporting for Medical Affairs and Development Finance.
- Support Medical Affairs & Development Finance with monthly accruals and other financial close responsibilities, accounting matters, and projects as needed.
- Provide all stakeholders with accurate, timely financial information to support decision making, business driver awareness, financial reporting, and enabling compliance with policies, regulations, and laws.
- Collaborates with local and regional accounting, BPO teams, other Medical Affairs & Development Finance and GBS team members to produce timely and accurate financial information.
- Support R&D Finance with vendor/invoice/payment issues through collaboration with GBS.
- Manages the month end close activities, including review and approval of Americas and Europe M&D accruals and other accounting entries confirming reasonableness and accuracy. This includes preparation of monthly financial reporting products and quarterly disclosures for R&D Finance.
- Partners with R&D Finance, SAP master Data and Anaplan systems support to create new WBS codes and maintain master data for tracking and managing operating costs by projects and/or clinical studies and to ensure mapping of regional source system financial data is established appropriately.
- Participate in R&D Finance system initiatives to implement and extend Anaplan capabilities.
- Work closely with R&D Finance teams to understand business specific analysis and reporting requirements, including compound and product analysis.
- Manage monthly and quarterly reporting for co-development collaboration for Medical Affairs and Development functions.
- Oversee inter-company recharges for Medical Affairs and Development.
- Maintains compliance with GAAP/IFRS, J-SOX, and other regulatory requirements.
- Provide support for internal and external audit requests
- Identifies and supports opportunities for process improvements within own activities and stakeholders' operations whilst maintaining high levels of service for Medical
Affairs and Development Finance.
- Develop ad hoc reports and financial models as required.
- Other such duties as may be reasonably required by the business.
Member of GBS organization. The position reports into Associate Director-R&D Finance and collaborates with Medical Affairs and Development Finance partners and functional stakeholders.
- The primary partners of this role are Medical Affairs and Development global department heads and Business Partners and BPO that supports R&D Finance
- Significant collaboration with GBS, Financial systems team, Internal Audit, Financial Controls & Governance, Tax, and Corporate FP&A.
- This position provides services to Development and Medical Affairs function and assists in other R&D Finance areas where needed.
- Management/Coaching of BPO service provider (Genpact)
- Professional service providers, external contractors, and vendors
- External auditors