Quality Manager, Portfolio Expansion - Nutrition - Columbus, OH
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Quality Manager, Portfolio Expansion
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Our nutrition business develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands – including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® – to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, you can do work that matters, grow, and learn, care for yourself and family, be your true self and live a full life. You’ll also have access to:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation – 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st yr. is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the [Register to View] student debt program and [Register to View] education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
This position works out of our Columbus, OH location in the Nutrition Division.
This position is responsible for supporting the expansion of Abbott Nutrition’s (AN’s) Third Party Manufacturer (TPM) portfolio through all stages of qualification. This requires collaboration with cross-functional personnel to lead and actively support activities through TPM selection, evaluation, approval, and first commercial run. The position also acts as the main AN Quality point of contact during the entire qualification process. This requires establishing a robust long-term working quality relationship with the TPM and ensuring that start-up project activities are carried out within the agreed targets with the assigned TPM.
This position is responsible for assuring TPMs have an effective Quality Management System that meets applicable regulatory requirements and industry food safety requirements. Failure to do so can cause food safety or quality issues that may lead to on-market events that negatively impact customer health and customer perception of the brand. Also, the inability of the TPM to comply with the Quality System can greatly impact AN division inventory levels and the ability to service customer demands.
What You’ll Work On
The Quality Manager, Portfolio Expansion will be responsible for all portfolio expansion activities related to one or more specific TPM accounts within the global TPM portfolio. The main responsibilities of this position include:
- Collaborating with TPM operations and process engineering groups in performing site assessments of potential TPMs.
- Conducting food safety and quality system audits of potential TPMs.
- Tracking and closing of corrective actions from audits.
- Identifying, elevating, and resolving food safety, food quality, compliance, and project risks associated with the qualification of a new TPM.
- Participating in the overall commercial project for launch of products at new TPMs
- Managing the quality related project deliverables to meet the overall commercial project milestones and goals.
- Creating Standard Manufacturing Plans (SMPs) to provide documentation of specification and manufacturing details to the TPM.
- Coordinating with Global Supplier Quality to assure qualification of new ingredients and packaging.
- Negotiating initial Quality Agreements with new TPMs.
- Participating in product FMEAs by providing input on details of the TPMs quality system and processes.
- Aligning the TPM quality processes with AN quality expectations and quality systems.
- Releasing first commercial batches for distribution including assurance of proper investigation and corrective actions for any nonconformances or potential nonconformances.
- Transitioning new TPMs to the TPM QA group who supports business as usual activities.
- Utilizing understanding of QA systems and problem-solving tools to provide alternative solutions to quality issues.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE, YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biology, Bacteriology or other technical degree is required. Master’s Degree preferred but not required.
- A minimum of seven years direct experience in a Quality Assurance, Supplier Quality Management, Compliance, or Quality Systems related position with application of and compliance to government regulations. Experience in a nutritional or allied industry is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills/competencies with a track record of success.
- Demonstrated experience successfully interacting and communicating with all organizational levels internally and externally (e.g., third-party manufacturers or external regulatory bodies).
- Demonstrated ability to manage several activities / projects at once, organize / prioritize work.
- Previous auditing experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience with creating, executing, or auditing Food Safety or HACCP plans is strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of different manufacturing processes and quality assurance principles; with the ability to comply with internal procedures and federal regulations.
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making skills are also critical to this position, since the technology for many of Abbott's products are unique.
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.