Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
We are seeking for a Laboratory Coordinator to join the Analytical Development team at Emergent BioSolutions in San Diego. Laboratory Coordinator will manage the day-to-day non-scientific lab activities, optimize and implement best practices in delivering operational excellence enabling scientific staff in the Analytical Development (AD) and Analytical Chemistry (AC) teams to focus on the science-based activities to deliver high quality analytical capabilities and services. Will utilize 6S and LEAN methodologies, through collaboration with AD and AC teams, will manage lab organization, lab space maintenance, inventory management and documentation. In a collaboration with other support functions, will be responsible for purchasing and coordinating life cycle management of equipment, purchasing, and managing inventory of reagents, chemicals, and other lab consumables. The successful candidate is highly organized, comfortable working in a GxP regulated environment, and an integral part of a highly collaborative AD and AC teams. Excellent communication, record-keeping, time-management, attention to detail and teamwork will be critical.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for maintaining GMP and non-GMP lab space in inspection ready state in accordance with standard GxP laboratory practices and procedures.
- Assist scientific staff with operational activities to further improve overall productivity, adherence to quality and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborate across analytical sub-teams to understand their needs, consumable usage, stocking location, standards, sample, and reagent management to achieve standardized processes for a smooth operation.
- Lead improvements to lab operations within the AD and AC teams through inventory management, 6S, and other methodologies.
- Establish best lab processes, create, and manage lab-related documentation, and organizational processes such as annual laboratory cleanouts and equipment calibrations, preventative maintenance.
- Manage purchasing and onboarding of new equipment, coordination of lab equipment (including pipettes) maintenance and calibration, assist with monthly service accrual reports, CAPEX projects updates, fixed asset memos for equipment.
- Develop and maintain relationships with all customers and suppliers; facilitate service visits by external vendors.
- Revise and update equipment procedures, monitor and review equipment logbooks for good documentation practices, and manage equipment related quality events.
- Implement and manage lab inventory system to manage chemicals, reagents, samples, equipment, and general lab supplies to ensure appropriate and adequate supply levels to meet department requirements.
- Train new employees in general lab equipment and lab processes (e.g., GMP equipment and reagent and sample inventory procedures, equipment logbooks, SAP, VEEVA).
- Assist with shipments of lab materials, including the preparation of documentation for shipment and receiving, as needed.
- Management of biohazardous materials and waste, chemical waste, sharps and management of other potentially hazardous materials.
- Glassware management (e.g., collection, washing, autoclaving) as needed.
- Assist Environmental Health & Safety with the implementation and adherence of lab safety programs; perform Lab champion’s responsibilities (e.g., monitor chemical/reagent inventory, expiration dates, proper labeling, monthly/quarterly updates).
- Occasionally help with routine experiments or buffer preparation.
- Perform daily Gemba walks and ensure lab is audit ready and a safe working environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- B.S in biological or chemical sciences with 3+ years of relevant experience in a laboratory-related area (either academic or biotech setting).
- A strong understanding of operations principles and can develop and implement laboratory operations best practices, with a focus on continuous process improvement.
- Commitment to quality, attention to detail, and a team player mentality is a must.
- Skilled at cultivating change and innovation by seeking opportunities to strengthen and improve existing services and operations workflows.
- Ability to coordinate activities across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Knowledge on regulations relating to lab safety, specifically on biohazard facilities and biological and chemical material handling.
- Experience with LIMS, ELN, Laboratory Software, and Enterprise Software Systems.
- Experience with the procurement and negotiation of goods and services in a lab environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a diverse interdisciplinary team.
- Familiarity and basic knowledge of the operation and maintenance of a variety of lab equipment including: HPLC systems, plate readers, incubators, washers and dispensers, refrigerators, and freezers, etc.
- Knowledge of LEAN principles such as 6S, 8 wastes, leader standard work, and 5 whys.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our [Register to View]
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.