Specimen Processing Specialist
Consumer Genetics is one of the world's largest genotyping facilities, having genotyped millions of samples for SNP (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism) analysis since 2013. SNPs are single base changes in DNA that give rise to genetic variation. These variations can be used for ancestral typing, health and disease risk factors, carrier conditions, and curiosity testing--anything from physical characteristics such as hair and eye color, muscle composition, effects of DNA on diet, and interesting facts such as your body's reactions to environmental stimuli.
LabCorp is seeking a dedicated and motivated individual to join their Specimen Accessioning team in Burlington, NC. The Specimen Accessioner will be responsible for performing specimen accessioning, sample sorting and data entry in a fast-paced, high-throughput environment according to established standard operating procedures.
The schedule for this position will be a First Shift: Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm. This applicant must have a valid drivers license as they will drive a box truck sometimes.
- Introduce and prepare biological specimens to the laboratory to ensure accurate processing
- Open specimens and pour off into secondary containers to prepare for analysis and testing
- Verify patient demographic information matches the test requisition form submitted
- Data entry of patient information into the computer system for tracking purposes
- Meet key production metrics and quality measures to ensure timely and accurate results
- Unpack and route specimens to their respective staging areas
- Pack and ship specimens to proper testing facilities when required
- Properly prepare and store excess specimen samples
- Resolve and document any problem specimens
- Handle and dispose of medical and chemical waste
- Comply with applicable environmental health and safety policies and procedures
- Operate automated instrumentation under supervision if necessary
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- No relevant experience is required
- Previous medical or production experience is preferred
- Proficient computer and typing skills
- Must pass standardized color vision test
- Comfortable handling human biological specimens including blood, urine and tissue samples
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs, work in protective equipment and sit/stand for long periods of time
- Strong eye hand coordination in order to accurately identify specimens by touch and sight
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- High level of attention to detail with the ability to problem solve
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal
- Ability to work overtime when needed
If you're looking for a career that offers opportunities for growth, continual development, professional challenge and the chance to make a real difference, apply today!
Labcorp is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer:
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.