Sr Manager, Global Licensing
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
ABOUT ABBOTT DIAGNOSTICS:
The key to successful treatment and full recovery is often fast, accurate diagnosis. Abbott’s life-changing tests and diagnostic tools provide insights that enable smarter, faster decisions and transform the way the world is managing health.
Our pioneering technology spans the world of healthcare operations — with medical diagnostic instruments, tests, automation and informatics solutions for hospitals, reference labs, blood centers, emergency departments, physician offices and clinics.
Our location in Lake Forrest currently has an opportunity for a Sr Manager, Global Licensing.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
Defend the Division licensing portfolio in all aspects (internal and external) including quarterly review of royalty payment obligations. Domestic and international negotiation of contracts in all technology areas for Core Dx, Hematology and Transfusion Medicine divisions.
The Licensing Manager ensures processes are aligned to and remain compliant with policies and procedures that govern daily activities associated with implementation and management of contracts, including associated deliverables, obligations, and/or royalty payments. Role reports to the Director, Core Dx PMO.
The Global Licensing Department is principally responsible for:
- Licensing of external technologies and intellectual property assets both inbound and outbound.
- Meaningful and demonstrably contributing to a key role working with ADD business units on additive or disruptive technology, unmet medical or unmet business needs;
- Coordination of propriety rights reviews relating to Division technology;
- Administration of standard template agreements and oversight of supporting teams;
- Coordinating legal activities relating to the Division including patents, contracts, licenses, and Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Demonstrate consistent and effective communication, conflict resolution and team building skills while balancing responsibilities for departmental team and own workload
- Manage annual Royalty Portfolio of approx. $50MM- $60MM depending upon sales volumes.
- Manage relationships with licensors and serve as the interface to the royalty portfolio payment process within Division Finance.
- Negotiate and deliver License Agreements that will positively impact Division LRP with reliance upon on Abbott Patent and Commercial Legal group’s conclusions.
- Liaison for Department to Finance and Patent Legal in support of the royalty portfolio.
- The manager will be heavily involved with the Stage Gate review process and understand the
- Licensing inputs required for the cross functional team development timeline related to all funded Division projects (assay or instrument).
- Succeed within an environment of significant agreement complexity (cross licenses, in-licenses, infringement, and/or settlements) that must often be navigated independently without day-to-day manager oversight.
- Maintain an executive level presence while working with Abbott Corporate Vice Presidents, Divisional Vice Presidents, R&D Directors, Marketing Directors, Senior Attorneys, and General Managers, and with similar level roles of third parties.
- Prepare and present reports and presentations on potential deals designed for the Division Staff level.
- Review division royalty payments routinely and improve the overall process to ensure accuracy, timely payment and compliance with license obligations.
- Recruit, train and develop direct reports and provide arm’s length workload back-up to direct reports covering vacations or other absences.
- Manage Ad Hoc projects, provide insight and implement corrective action.
- Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the Quality System.
Scope of Responsibility:
The Technology Licensing Manager will be responsible for executing up to 200 agreements per year.
- The complex deal agreements will range between 30-200 pages of negotiated points.
- Agreements with a significant level of complexity can be handled independently without day-to-day oversight by manager.
- The Technology Licensing Manager is directly accountable for conduct of all primary responsibilities as outlined above.
- Deals may have a financial impact of up to $10MM in the first year and up to $50MM long term.
- Reports and presentations on technology deals and acquisitions could be presented at the Division Staff level.
- May have direct interaction with Division President or SVP as applicable.
- Negotiations will have highly significant financial impact.
- Immediate terms may exceed $10MM and the impact over the period of the Long Range
- Plan may exceed $50MM.
- The outcome of the negotiation may effect these amounts +/- 50%, resulting in a financial responsibility of as much as $SMM short term and $25MM long term.
- Management Responsibility: May have direct personal management responsibility of 1-2 direct reports.
Manage development of department processes, policies and procedures that ensure compliance to ﬁnancial and computer system audit standards, incorporate business performance needs, and maintain process ﬂow efﬁciency.
Serves as the leader on negotiating teams and cross functional teams.
Teams are formed according to the Licensing Manager field of responsibility, or on a project-by-project basis as assigned by Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- A BA/BS/MS degree preferably in a technical field or preferably in biological or chemical sciences. At least five years’ experience in medical diagnostics.
- Experience in legal terminology, licensing or technology transfer is a benefit. Knowledge of regulations and standards affecting IVDs and Biologics.
- Self-starter and ability to work independently; leadership skills to work effectively with multiple functional disciplines like R&D, Business Development; other Division Licensing groups and Legal; strong organizational and planning skills, detail oriented, excellent writing and soft skills; working knowledge or Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; and computer literacy necessary.
- An MBA from a top tiered school is preferred.
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] , on LinkedIn at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] , on Facebook at [Register to View] target="_blank">[Register to View] and on Twitter [Register to View] [Register to View]