GLOBAL DIRECTOR, SCIENTIFIC AFFAIRS – Cardiovascular (R134476)
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Our Medical Affairs team advances patient care by engaging in scientific exchange with external medical experts and industry professionals ensuring the scientific value of our products is realized. We engage and train internal employees to ensure that they thoroughly comprehend the science behind the medicine and review further unmet medical needs to bolster collaboration and further differentiate our portfolio.
The Global Director Scientific Affairs (GDSA) for cardiovascular will focus on efforts to maximize meaningful bi-directional scientific exchange by incorporating external scientific input into our Research & Development laboratories strategy to impact how our Company discovers, develops, and commercializes new drugs in cardiovascular disease and pulmonary hypertension (will include heart failure, atherosclerosis, thrombosis and other).
He/She will join the relevant Research & Development late-stage Product Development Teams (PDTs) clinical sub teams and chair the Company investigator-initiated studies programs in cardiovascular disease. The GDSA will co-lead (with the Executive Director of Medical Affairs) a cross functional Scientific Medical and Research Team (SMART), interacting closely with colleagues in Medical Affairs and focusing on external scientific congress planning and medical education support. As needed, the GDSA will also provide support to the Target and Discovery Research teams.
The position will include responsibility for both internal and external commitments, with an emphasis on external scientific engagements:
- Drive a credible and informed scientific dialogue with global Scientific Leaders in Cardiovascular disease related areas (responsible for collaborative partnerships with key global Scientific Leaders across all regions relevant to Cardiovascular strategic priorities, both US and Ex-US)
- Partner with colleagues in Research & Development GCD (Global Clinical Development) to execute the Scientific Leadership strategy in alignment with the end-to-end Cardiovascular scientific strategy
- Partner with colleagues in Medical Affair and Commercial teams to ensure alignment with regional and country scientific leader activities
- Collaborate with Company Research Laboratory Leadership in Clinical Research and in Early Development and Discovery to develop the Scientific Medical and Research Team (SMART) plan for cardiovascular-related indications
- Establish Areas of Interest, review and approve investigator-initiated studies in Cardiovascular disease
- Support and plan Research & Development activities at major scientific congresses, including collection and reporting of competitive intelligence
- As needed, provide scientific oversight and expert input on training content for internal Company employees [may include Regional Medical Scientific Directors (RMSDs) or other colleagues in Medical Affairs].
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Develop individual relationships with global scientific leaders in Cardiovascular science through scientific dialogue pertinent to our Company's interests
- Organize, chair or participate in a variety of scientific input forums (Research & Development consultants meetings and scientific advisory boards) to gain specific input from external scientists and physicians to support drug development activities within the Research & Development division
- Chair the Company Investigator Initiated Studies Review Committee- responsible for reviewing external investigator initiated scientific study protocols encompassing both pre-clinical and clinical work
- Coordinate, lead/participate in Research & Development activities at key global scientific congresses (i.e. Key Cardiovascular congresses) including collection of competitive intelligence and creation of a written Executive Summary
- Lead cross-functional Cardiovascular Global Scientific Medical and Research Teams
- Attend and actively participate in both Product Development Clinical sub-teams, Value Evidence sub-teams, and Publications sub-teams
- Ensure partnerships with leaders of key professional societies and organizations as well as major academic medical centers
- Ensure existing Scientific Leaders relationship with Company scientists are sustained and strengthened via appropriate Scientific Leader engagement plans
- Maintain credibility by being on the leading edge on state of science and shifts in clinical and treatment paradigms
- Coordinate relationships across divisions within our Company, including close connectivity with both Research & Development and Medical Affairs colleagues/Commercial organization
- MD with 10+ years, post degree; subspecialty expertise in cardiology required.
- Publications in therapeutic area with national/ international recognition is desirable.
- Experience influencing research and development in stated disease area.
- Must be able to work in a complex organization environment and have ability to effectively operate in a team-oriented structure.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (written as well as oral), results-oriented project management, facilitation and consultative skills to influence decision making are required.
- Experience managing interactions with senior leaders
- Medical Affairs or Scientific Affairs experience in the cardiovascular field is desired, but not mandatory
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Current Employees apply [Register to View]
Current Contingent Workers apply [Register to View]
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please [Register to View] if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1