Director Facilities Management (R127834)
Our Engineers support internal and external manufacturing operations remain operational, continuously improve and innovate. With our extensive range of facilities and environments, our Engineers have opportunities across many diverse areas including Biological, Chemical, Automation, Capital Projects, Maintenance, Safety, Process Development, Technical Services, Utilities and Validation.
Director Facilities Management
New Jersey Region Facilities Management is a service delivery function that manages the execution and delivery of key maintenance functions, utility assurance and facility management for the Kenilworth site. This role serves the New Jersey Consolidation projects for facilities management services and directs the overall utility strategy, energy operations and oversight for the New Jersey Region.
Reports to: Associate Vice President, GWES – NA Region
Managerial responsibilities for Facilities Management Operations Staff and Third-Party Service providers
- The Director of Facilities Management for the New Jersey Region is a key role within the Global Workplace and Enterprise Services, working within the North America Facilities Research Team to ensure reliable utility, services and facilities for our clients to improve our company's competitive advantage at the New Jersey Technical sites.
- The position is responsible for managing ~20 site buildings, ~4M sq. ft, of varied space (C suite, HQ office, Helistop, research labs, IT data center, office, warehouse, mechanical/utility) providing sufficient work facilities with reliable utility supply (Electrical, HVAC, Chilled Water, Steam) while maintaining an expense budget that captures, personnel, utility, tax repair and maintenance and depreciation costs.
- Provides utility and operating strategies and planning for associated generation and distribution systems and facilities including water, sewer, electric, steam, chilled water, and plant air. Ensures utility systems and facilities are designed, operated, and maintained to meet current and future load and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure compliance (Safety, Health, Environmental, GxP (as applicable), DOT, Labor, HR, etc.) for all applicable company protocols, practices, procedures, and regulatory requirements. Ensure that all site related decisions and documents appropriately protect Company interests.
- Manages development and performance of direct staff. Evaluates staffing requirements, operational labor strategies and coordinates with external service providers to address operational and business needs in delivering innovative and cost-effective operational solutions. Encourages creative thinking in current and future planning with emphasis on employee participation, teamwork, and development.
- Manage outsourced service providers under Governance/Partner management platforms to deliver services at specified service levels under specified budgets/savings targets. Service providers include soft services (Mail, Dining, Grounds, Cleaning, Landscaping, and Security), hard services (Repair and Maintenance, Waste Management, Project Engineering) and utility services (Electric, Steam)
- Develop and maintain a site master plan and execute site infrastructure, facility and utility improvement projects by partnering with Engineering (GES and Partner Engineering Function) to proactively address current limitations and potential failures to maximize space usage, reliability and uptime. Work with Real Estate Occupancy Planning to identify opportunities as part of the Real Estate Strategy process.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
Required Experience and Skills:
- Working knowledge of EHS, and cGxP practices
- A minimum of 7 years of Maintenance/Engineering/Facilities leadership experience
- An understanding of maintenance processes and systems
- Experience with Collective Bargaining units and execution of a CBA.
- Exhibit sound leadership qualities amongst competing priorities and agendas while leading, developing and motivating a cross functional team of internal employees and external service providers
- Successfully navigate challenges and influence across the enterprise
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Advanced Engineering Degree or in related field
- Utility Operations Knowledge
- Core Maintenance Function
- Project Management
- Labor Relations
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is committed to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with [Register to View] all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply [Register to View]
Current Contingent Workers apply [Register to View]
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please [Register to View] if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1