Counsel, Corporate Transactions (R118484)
The Legal Counsel, Corporate Transactions will provide legal support and counseling for a broad range of complex transactions on behalf of the Company, including public and private mergers and acquisitions; joint ventures; research, development and commercial collaborations; corporate licensing; manufacturing and supply and other business development transactions.
- Work closely with management in business development and licensing functions on complex legal transactions led by the Company’s Corporate
- Provide legal, deal and strategic advice to business development, management and executive clients
- Negotiate and draft highly sophisticated M&A, divestiture, joint venture, licensing, collaboration and other agreements, often where no precedents exist
- Advise as needed on relevant antitrust, securities and corporate laws impacting various projects
- Supervise activities and manage the relationship with outside counsel, as needed, to support transactions
- May train and supervise paralegal
- Provide legal services, advice and guidance that is consistent with law and Company policy; further business objectives and appropriately balance divisional/functional/corporate business objectives and legal risks
- Exercise judgment to drive decisions on routine and non-routine matters within area of practice
- Some domestic and international travel required
- Report to Managing Counsel of Corporate Transactions Legal
Minimum Education Minimum:
- An Undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- Graduate of an accredited U.S. law school, with admission to the Bar of New Jersey or another state
- Three (3) or more years of legal experience in a law firm or corporate setting
- Has drafted sophisticated legal transactional documents
- Excellent teamwork, communication (written and oral) and analytical skills, and a high level of business acumen
- Has managed a significant workload, with the ability to juggle multiple transactions simultaneously
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with high level of initiative, self-motivation and intellectual curiosity
- Willingness to embrace development opportunities, which may include assuming other related roles and assignments, or future roles at different company locations
Preferred Skills and Requirements:
- Has independently handled complex transactional matters in the pharmaceutical industry or other regulated industries
- Has advised management on business and legal risks in specific transactions
- Has operated in ambiguous circumstances
- Has worked collaboratively with colleagues to set project plan and timelines
- We partner with the business to ensure we maintain our company’s values and high ethical standards, comply with the law, protect our people and enhance our reputation. We strive to foster an environment that is inspiring, supportive and diverse.
Our Support Functions deliver services and makes recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the experience of working at our organization. Our Support Functions include Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with [Register to View] all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply [Register to View]
Current Contingent Workers apply [Register to View]
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please [Register to View] if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1