Sr. Data Framework Engineer
The mission of the Data Science and Data Engineering (DSDE) organization within GSK Pharmaceuticals R&D is to get the right data, to the right people, at the right time. The Data Framework and Ops organization ensures we can do this efficiently, reliably, transparently, and at scale through the creation of a leading-edge, cloud-native data services framework. We focus heavily on developer experience, on strong, semantic abstractions for the data ecosystem, on professional operations and aggressive automation, and on transparency of operations and cost.
We are looking for a skilled and experienced Sr. Data Framework Engineer to join our growing team. Sr. Data Framework Engineers take full ownership of delivering high-performing, high-impact data framework products, and services, from a description of a problem customer Data Engineers are trying to solve all the way through to final delivery (and ongoing monitoring and operations). They are standard bearers for software engineering and quality coding practices within the team and are expected to mentor more junior engineers; they may even coordinate the work of more junior engineers on a large project. They devise useful metrics ensuring their services are meeting customer demand, having an impact, and iterate to deliver and improve on those metrics in an agile fashion.
A Sr. Data Framework Engineer is a highly technical individual contributor, building modern, cloud-native systems for standardizing and templatizing data engineering, such as:
- Standardized physical storage and search / indexing systems
- Schema management (data + metadata + versioning + provenance + governance)
- API semantics and ontology management
- Standard API architectures
- Kafka + standard streaming semantics
- Standard components for publishing data to file-based, relational, and other sorts of data stores
- Metadata systems
- Tooling for QA / evaluation
Additional responsibilities also include:
- Partner with Tech where modifications to underlying tools (e.g. infrastructure as code, Cloud Ops, DevOps, logging / alerting) are needed to serve new use-cases, and to ensure operations are planned
- Write fantastic code along with the proper unit, functional, and integration tests for code and services to ensure quality. Mentor more junior engineers in these skills
- Stay up to date with developments in the open-source community around data engineering, data science, and similar tooling.
- Spot opportunities to test out new tooling for internal use cases, as well as opportunities to contribute back to the community.
The DSDE team is built on the principles of ownership, accountability, continuous development, and collaboration. We hire for the long term, and we're motivated to make this a great place to work. Our leaders will be committed to your career and development from day one.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Master’s in Computer Science with a focus in Data Engineering, DataOps, DevOps, MLOps, Software Engineering
- 5+ years experience (or PhD plus 3 years job experience)
- Experience with common distributed data tools in a production setting (Spark, Kafka, etc)
- Experience with specialized data architecture (e.g. optimizing physical layout for access patterns)
- Experience with search/indexing systems (e.g. Elasticsearch)
- Experience with schema tools and schema management (Avro, Protobuf)
- Practical experience with Agile software development and DevOps forward ways of working
- Demonstrated experience writing production Python, Scala, Go, and/or C++
- Demonstrated experience building reusable components on top of the CNCF ecosystem including Kubernetes (or similar ecosystem)
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience building and designing a DevOps first way of working
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour, and risk.
- Committed to delivering high-quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and wellbeing
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost consciousness
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting [Register to View] site.