Automation Engineer (32218_Baltimore_(Bayview))
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Automation Engineer will be responsible for supporting automation and control systems at the Emergent Biosolutions Bayview Manufacturing site. This will include supporting the long-term strategic development goals for the site automation systems, ensuring compliant operation of all validated control systems, as well as supporting day-to-day trouble-shooting and problem-solving activities associated with existing enterprise and equipment-based control systems.
This role will also support multiple projects of varying complexity and size which will include outside control system integrators, technicians, IT infrastructure, manufacturing personnel, validation personnel, and quality control/quality assurance.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work independently as well as within multidisciplinary teams to provide routine support of site manufacturing and facility operations, specifically relating to control, automation, and instrumentation systems.
• Troubleshoot and provide corrective actions for existing manufacturing and facility control system, automation, and instrumentation.
• Provide 24/7 on-call support on a rotation-based schedule.
• Support the preparation and review of engineering standards, PMs, SOPs, commissioning protocols, user requirement specifications, acceptance test plans, IQ/OQs, Functional Specifications, Design Specifications, and drawings and diagrams
• May be responsible for leading teams as well as functioning is supporting role for team efforts.
• Work with site Quality and Computer System Validation experts to ensure automation and control system GMP compliance.
• Support the implementation and completion of change controls, CAPAs, and Deviations for automated GMP systems and equipment.
• Proactively search for and implement innovative solutions to improve site automation performance, reliability, and compliance.
• Support training efforts for new equipment installations
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited university in mechanical, chemical, or electrical disciplines
• 5+ years’ experience supporting or developing automated systems.
• Proven programming experience with Allen-Bradley/Rockwell PLCs and Rockwell Software applications, including FactoryTalk SE/ME, RSLogix 500, RSLogix 5000, Studio 5000, etc.
• Knowledge of Building Management/Automation Systems, preferably Siemens.
• Knowledge of various data communication protocols and architectures, including ControlNet, Ethernet I/P, Modbus, and/or Profibus.
• Exercises judgement within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
• Works well in a multi-discipline team structure.
• Has strong communication and computer skills
• Demonstrates skills in requirements gathering, design, configuration, integration, and implementation of process control solutions for the manufacturing industry including batch software, PLC based control systems, HMI packages, building management systems, SCADA systems, Visual Basic and PC networking technology
• Advanced training in process controls engineering.
• Member of ISPE, ISA, or IEEE
• Working experience with data management software, including OSIsoft Pi Historian, SQL databases, Crystal Reports, etc.
• Familiar with pharmaceutical industry guidelines such as ISPE Baseline Guidelines, GAMP, ISO, and ISA Standards
• Experience in pharmaceutical, biopharmaceutical, or consumer manufacturing
• Knowledge of CAD software and equipment
• Working knowledge of SAP
• Familiarity with FDA cGMP and FDA regulations relating to biologic and drug products
• Familiarity with FDA regulation 21 CFR Part 11 and/or EU Annex 11.
Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Individuals with qualifying medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs or practices that may prevent them from getting the vaccine may request an exemption from the vaccine requirement.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Information submitted will be used by Emergent BioSolutions for activities related to your prospective employment. Emergent BioSolutions respects your privacy and any use of the information submitted will be subject to the terms of our [Register to View]
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.