Senior Tax Accountant
As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
Position Purpose Summary: The purpose of this position is to analyze ﬁnancial information and accurately prepare state and local corporate income tax returns and supporting work papers in accordance with current laws and regulations on a timely basis. This position will also prepare state apportionment workpapers, estimated payment and extension workpapers, research state and local tax credits and prepare necessary tax credit calculations, assist with state and local corporate income tax audits, and any other departmental work.
Dimensions: State and local corporate income tax return ﬁlings in 40+ states and 10+ cities with annual liability of $50+ million.Principal Accountabilities:
- Use tax compliance software to prepare various state and local corporate income and franchise tax returns and supporting workpapers in compliance with state and local tax laws and regulations.
- Preparation of estimated tax payments and extensions, including all required forms/vouchers.
- Assist with state and local corporate income tax audits. This includes procuring necessary detailed information, preparation of requested schedules, formation of dispute workpapers and support, post-audit documentation, and communicating with various PCA personnel.
- Preparation of state corporate income tax apportionment workpapers. This includes the ability to reconcile large amounts of data to the ﬁnancial statements and Federal income tax return.
- Preparation of state corporate income tax credits and certiﬁcation ﬁlings. This includes identifying the available state corporate income tax credits, researching the requirements to qualify, and gathering the necessary supporting information.
- Research and respond to inquiries and notices from state and local taxing authorities, vendors, customers, and company personnel.
- Monitor state and local corporate income tax developments, including state corporate income tax rates, apportionment methodologies, ﬁling group requirements, and state modiﬁcation changes.
- As a member of the Tax Department, the Sr Tax Accountant is responsible for knowing and following policies and procedures of the company; for sharing information that would beneﬁt other members of the team; and for ﬁnding ways to improve the delivery of service to our customers.
- As a member of the Tax Department, and the PCA Team as a whole, the Sr Tax Accountant is expected to continually strive to strengthen our business philosophy of Meeting needs, exceeding expectations for our customers. This includes supporting our Commitment to Service, which involves doing what's right for our customers, focusing on strategies that add value and support growth, and keeping the promises that we make.
Decision Making: This individual will be expected to work independently, with appropriate guidance, on all projects before submitting for review to the Tax Manager, Tax Director, and/or Exec. Tax Director.
Interactions with Customers and Contacts: This individual is responsible for successfully maintaining relationships within the tax department and with all departments that interact with the tax department, as well as, external auditors and customers.Requirements:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
2. Experience in a mid to large size company or public accounting ﬁrm is a plus.
3. Attention to detail, accuracy, and consistently meeting deadlines are required.
4. Proﬁciency in Microsoft Office Applications and strong working knowledge of Excel.
5. Experience with Tax Compliance Software and On-Line Tax Research Databases is preferred.
All qualified applicants must apply at [Register to View]
to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
- Pay Type Salary