Staff Software Engineer (Hubbell Site Flexible) - Boonton, NJ (878872100)
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.Brand Overview
Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Utility Solutions (HUS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HUS is also deeply engaged in product solutions for the Utility Communications and Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) space and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HUS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HUS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas, and water industries.
HUS has four business units. Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) is our electrical components and infrastructure business. Aclara is our AMI and Meters business and also includes an installation business. Hubbell Gas Connectors and Accessories (HGCA) sells connectors and accessories for the repair, replacement and refurbishment of natural gas systems. Our fourth business is our Protection and Controls business which is our newest business initiative to drive substation communications, control and protection solutions. HUS provides these solutions in the Electric Utility, Water, Gas and Communications Market.
At HUS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of principled integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers. Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
Preferred location: 353 Powerville Road, Boonton, NJ 07005
Alternate location: Leeds/Birmingham, ALPosition Overview
The Staff Software Engineer will be a part of an Engineering team that develops complex embedded products for electric utilities in the area of teleprotection and communications.
The individual in this position must be a strong firmware developer with ability to architect firmware/software design for industrial products, must be capable of performing detailed requirements breakdown analysis and able to make critical technical decisions during firmware design and development activity. The individual in this position must have demonstrated experience of having worked as a lead software/firmware architect on new products with visible/tangible commercial success.
- Efficiently work in a fast-paced, goal-oriented product development environment,
- Act as a lead software/firmware engineering architect for new product development projects contributing to organization's organic growth,
- Play a critical and substantial role in performing detailed breakdown analysis of software/firmware requirements to create firmware/software development paradigm for the team.
- Effectively interact with product management, product engineering teams to understand requirements of new products, features etc.
- Play a critical and substantial role in leading firmware/software architecture development for implementing new requirements/features in the product.
- Provide necessary technical inputs for firmware specific tasks such as - Driver development for ARM processor, kernel migration (e.g. v3. xx to v4. xx), Linux-bring up etc.
- Own problem-solving in firmware domain on existing and new products.
- Co-ordinate and supervise work outsourced to external consulting firms/design vendors to meet project deadlines. This work includes, but not limited to, creating SOW, writing design specifications, creating test plans/procedures, performing deliverable validation etc.
- Act with necessary engineering judgement to solve complex, non-trivial technical problems.
- Be a go-getter with ability to get things done with holding team members accountable.
- Support Production, Service, Test, and Sales in all phases of product development including post-engineering support
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science
- 8 - 10 years of experience as a lead Software/Firmware engineering architect for Linux-based (ARM platform) complex industrial systems
- Experience as a lead software/firmware engineering architect for new product development projects leading to organization's organic growth
- Strong understanding of NPD cycle and software development cycle
- Strong understanding of Linux-based firmware/software development environment, ARM platforms. Familiarity with TI’s ARM processors.
- Possess experience in either supervising or having direct involvement with kernel migrations, driver development, user applications development for Linux-based systems
- Experience performing detailed breakdown analysis of software/firmware requirements to create development paradigm for the team.
- Proven ability to direct team members in solving complex firmware-related problems during product development.
- Strong user of software/firmware development tools such as- SonarQube, Source Insight etc.
- Ability to perform code reviews, conceive and execute test cases in order to release highest quality software/firmware.
- Masters Degree
- Ability to manage 4-6 software/firmware development resources (as direct reports) is a plus
- Proven track record as software/firmware architect for telecommunications equipment/product is a plus
- Proven track record as software/firmware architect for complex products used by electric utilities is a plus
- Extensive experience with creating software/firmware testing is a plus
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.