Sr. Software Engineer - Largo, FL
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.Posting Address
Hubbell Power Systems
6190 118th Ave N
Largo, FL 33773
The Senior Software Engineer is a key role within Beckwith Electric. This individual leverages their strong expertise to help the company develop and maintain world-class, leading edge protective relaying and control products which provide protection and control of power systems within the utility industry. The Senior Software Engineer will participate in the full cycle of product development including authoring, unit testing, reviewing and evaluating code, and other applicable deliverables. In addition, the individual will participate in product deployment, design reviews, and provide support in resolving customer technical support issues pertaining to the software development life cycle. In this role, the individual will be responsible for all aspects of software engineering including new product development, modification of existing designs, sustaining engineering, and product validation.
New Product Development
The Senior Software Engineer will be called upon to create innovative software for Beckwith products. The person in this role must be highly skilled with software design, with a proven track record of delivering results. This individual will work closely with the engineering management, program management and business development teams to determine project requirements, create conceptual designs, provide basis of estimates, and create comprehensive design specification documents in accordance with company standards. Additionally, the individual will participate in design review meetings and make presentations which are easily understood by a broad audience.
When appropriate in the product development life cycle, the Senior Software Engineer may be called upon to work closely with customer support team, identify issues, fix bugs in existing products, and create new features. If necessary, the individual will communicate directly with customers to perform product troubleshooting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conceive, invent, and develop novel software architectures and designs for protective relays and controls.
• Create and develop theoretical computer models and/or complex calculations within area of expertise.
• Create and develop experimental analysis techniques to verify validity of computer models and calculations.
• Perform coding and create detail design documentation per established company standards.
• Provide time estimates and schedules for software development tasks.
• Develop unit and integration tests to ensure system meets requirements.
• Assist in creating of software functional specifications and requirements documentation for new products.
• Follow design processes and procedures established by engineering department.
• Analyze and resolve field issues. Perform root cause analysis and determine effective preventive action(s).
• Participate in design review meetings.
• Work with engineering management to create and promote an environment in which technical innovation can flourish through empowerment, encouragement, support, and recognition that enables business growth.
• Manage projects to ensure their completion on-time and within established budgets.
• Provide periodic project status reports.
• Conduct internal design reviews as required.
• Mentor and train more junior engineering staff as appropriate.
Required EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics with 7+ years of relevant work experience.
• Proven competency in software development for Windows using C++, C#, .NET programming languages
• Experience using source code version controls and issue tracking tools.
• Experience using source code analysis tools.
• Proficient using debugging tools and techniques.
• Work equally well independently and at the direction of others.
• Strong critical thinking / problem solving skills
• Demonstrated mastery of the Scientific Method.
• Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization may exist.
• The ability to work with and without direct supervision.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Strong communication skills (written/verbal/presentation).
• Demonstrated computer proficiency.
Desired EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mathematics with 10+ years of relevant work experience.
• Experience with Digital Signal Processing algorithms.
• Experience with Secure Development.
• Familiarity with Threat Analysis and Threat modelling.
• Experience with industrial communication protocols (MODBUS, DNP3, IEC61850).
• Advanced knowledge of Linux/GNU tools.
• Experience with development of power system control products servicing the utility industry.
• Experience with stage gate engineering development processes.
• Experience with DFSS (Design for Six Sigma).
• Lean/6-Sigma Green Belt / Black Belt.
#LI-KH1EducationBachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.