Associate General Counsel, Intellectual Property (Hybrid) Job
Primary location: Hybrid/Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Relocation offered: Yes
Employment status: Full-Time
Individual pay is based upon location, skills and expertise, experience and other relevant factors
What does it mean to work at Armstrong?
It means being immersed in a supportive culture that recognizes you as a key player in Armstrong's future. We are a large company with a local feel, where you will get to know and collaborate with leadership and your colleagues across the company.
By joining us, you'll have the opportunity to make the most of your potential. Alongside a competitive remuneration package, you will receive:
A benefits package including: medical, dental, prescription drug, life insurance, 401k match, long-term disability coverage, vacation and sick time, product discount programs and many more.
Personal development to grow your career with us based on your strengths and interests.
A casual work environment where we have a recognition program for our team, and service awards. You will also be able to make the most of our fitness center and lunchtime cafe.
A working culture that balances individual achievement with teamwork and collaboration. We draw on each other's strengths and allow for different work styles to build engagement and satisfaction to deliver results.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer, the Director, Intellectual Property and Associate General Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel regarding a wide range of intellectual property matters, including preparation, prosecution and analysis of U.S. and foreign patents, trademarks, copyrights and trade secrets; analyzing third party patents, infringement and licensing strategies and negotiations; managing intellectual property enforcement and litigation; supporting trademark and branding programs, and anti-counterfeit initiatives; and innovation identification and protection programs. Reviewing, drafting, negotiating, and administering non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, joint-development agreements, licensing agreements and providing support on other commercial contracts. Intellectual property support of complex business development (M&A) projects.
The incumbent will perform legal analysis and provide timely, effective, and practical guidance in a fast-paced in-house setting under the direction of the company’s General Counsel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Identifies, analyzes, and assesses legal risks.
- Prepares, prosecutes, and maintains patent and trademark portfolio.
- Provides professional advice, counseling, and oversight to internal clients regarding intellectual property on a reactive and proactive basis.
- Sets legal and/or risk mitigation policies and procedures for intellectual property creation and protection.
- Provides legal training to internal clients on intellectual property.
- Works collaboratively with in-house staff attorneys and external counsel.
- Engages in routine interaction and privileged communications with multiple levels of the company.
- Provides management and oversight of outside counsel.
- Legal Assistant & Sustainability Analyst (1)
Travel: Moderate; less than 10%.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Professional maturity and elevated level of discretion and integrity.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team.
- Ability to work in a matrix organization.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to think strategically.
- Ability to oversee outside counsel.
Physical and Mental Demands
The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: sit for prolonged periods; repetitive motion of hands/wrists/fingers; concentrate and repeat the same physical or mental activities over and over; think analytically and be exact or highly accurate; make decisions such as to identify complex problems, develop options and implement solutions; work in a team; ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADAAA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards; pay attention to and remember details; communicate effectively including active listening to understand points being made, and asking appropriate questions and not interrupting inappropriately; speak to convey information effectively; write to communicate effectively as appropriate for the needs of the audience; read to understand work related documents; move between different physical locations within and between buildings; and push, pull, carry and lift in the normal course of travel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Requires working indoors in environmentally controlled conditions with standard level of noise common to an office environment including office equipment and co-workers speaking to each other and on phones. Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment when entering the floor of manufacturing facilities based on the specific requirements of each location.
Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctor degree from top tier accredited law school.
- 10+ years demonstrated experience in Intellectual Property Law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets, in a medium to large sized law firm or in-house legal department.
- Experience leading a company through implementation of a value adding, cost effective intellectual property program.
- Experience managing others.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Licensed to practice law in at least one state in the United States.
- If not licensed in PA, then willing and able to secure an in-house license in PA.
- Licensed as a patent attorney with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Delivers practical and proactive counseling, training and support to business units and corporate functions.
- Develops and delivers solutions to enable operational and strategic objectives and growth initiatives.
- Develops and maintains appropriate risk management protocols.
- Utilizes transparent, collaborative, and open communications.
- Promotes and ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Prioritizes the integrity, values and ethical standards set out in the company’s Code of Business Conduct.
- Delivers consistent standard of counseling.
- Seeks alignment with business and strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrates strong working knowledge of functional focus area.
Why should you join Armstrong World Industries?
Armstrong World Industries (AWI) is a leader in the design and manufacture of innovative commercial and residential ceiling, wall and suspension system solutions in the Americas. With approximately $1B in revenue, AWI has about 2,800 employees and a manufacturing network of fifteen facilities in North America.
At home, at work, in healthcare facilities, classrooms, stores, or restaurants, we offer interior solutions that help to enhance comfort, save time, improve building efficiency and overall performance, and create beautiful spaces.
For more than 150 years, we have built our business on trust and integrity. It set us apart then, and it sets us apart now, along with our ability to collaborate with and innovate for the people we're here to serve - our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our employees.
We are committed to developing new and sustainable ceiling solutions, with design and performance possibilities that make a positive difference in spaces where we live, work, learn, heal and play. It's an exciting, rewarding business to be in, and we're committed to continue to grow and prosper for the benefit of all of our stakeholders. We hope you join us.
Our Sustainability Ambition
"Bringing our Purpose to Life" - lead a transformation in the design and building of spaces fit for today and tomorrow.
We are committed to:
- Engaging a diverse, purpose-driven workforce;
- Transforming buildings from structures that shelter into structures that serve and preserve the health and well-being of people and planet;
- Pursuing sustainable, innovative solutions for spaces where we live, work, learn heal and play;
- Being a catalyst for change with all of our stakeholders; and
- Making a positive difference in the environments and communities we impact.
About the location (Lancaster PA)
Lancaster, PA. A great central location in South Central Pennsylvania, Lancaster is ideally situated for easy access to major metropolitan cities such as Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York City. Lancaster offers a vibrant arts and entertainment community with wonderful historic sites, B&Bs, museums, great shopping, entertainment venues and restaurants.
Armstrong is committed to engaging a diverse, purpose-driven workforce. As part of our dedication to diversity, AWI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard for race, sex, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at by email at [Register to View] style="color:blue">AWI talent acquisition and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
Come and build your future with us and apply today!