Environmental Specialist (6230)
As a Fortune 500 company, Packaging Corporation of America (PCA) is an ideas and solutions company. Our corrugated packaging business seeks to be the leader in helping our customers — large and small — package, transport and display products of all kinds. Our white paper business delivers Paper With Purpose by providing the highest level of customer service and operational excellence. We have approximately 15,000 team members in more than 100 locations in the United States that strive to meet the local needs of our customers. Our mission is to serve the needs of our customers, today and tomorrow, with products and services that exceed expectations for performance and environmental responsibility.
People • Customers • Trust
We are seeking resumes for an Environmental Specialist in our DeRidder, LA facility
- Review, analyze and interpret current and proposed Federal and state regulations (in the Federal Register and Louisiana Administrative Code) to determine potential impact on the industry. Where applicable, prepare written comments.
- Research, collect data and prepare applications for construction and operating permits, variances and exemptions from regulatory agencies.
- Establish and promote positive and productive working relationships with regulatory agencies to obtain necessary documents in a timely manner.
- Evaluate and monitor compliance status of Louisiana Operations, identifying potential problem areas and develop plans for corrective action to ensure all environmental regulations and permit conditions are adhered to.
- Participate in the development of strategies for negotiations with appropriate agencies for review by supervisor.
- Provide assistance in the compilation of appropriate comments for submission to regulatory agencies for review by supervisor.
- Contribute information pertinent to legal action for challenging proposed laws and/or regulations.
- Interact with engineering and technical groups to provide assistance in the resolution of environmental problems relative to groundwater, air, water, and solid waste and during process/project development and execution to ensure that compliance and budgetary goals are met.
- Work with operations, engineering and maintenance to determine regulatory implications of individual projects during planning phases.
- Participate in evaluation visits of off-site storage, treatment and disposal sites to review compliance history, permits, and handling of disposal material in order to make recommendations on utilization of appropriate disposal company.
- Provide guidance and prepare environmental reports to be utilized by engineering as guidelines to terminate processes including disposal of chemicals, types of permits needed and processes to follow to meet closure terms and negotiate agency approval.
- Interact with federal and state agencies on regulatory issues, development of drafts and preparation of comments for compilation for final results and recommendations.
- Minimum BS plus 5 years of experience in the area of environmental compliance assurance, preferably for a pulp and paper facility.
- Bachelors in Environmental or Chemical Engineering or Environmental Sciences may count towards experience.
- Understand mill’s manufacturing processes and pollution control equipment.
- Be familiar with the parts of the Louisiana Administrative Code that affect job requirements.
- Have knowledge of permitting impact and requirements.
- Proficient in the use of personal computers and software.
Actively seeking applicants at University of LA at Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, McNeese State University, Auburn University, Mississippi State University, Lamar University, and Louisiana State University.
All qualified applicants must apply at [Register to View]
to be considered.
PCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
- Pay Type Salary