Public Notice for Direct Hire - IT Specialist (INFOSEC)
These positions may be in the bargaining unit with the National Treasury Employees Union, Chapter 208 or may not be in the bargaining unit.
IT Specialist (INFOSEC) work involves ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
Major duties commonly performed by employees in this specialty may include, but are not limited to:
- developing policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend
against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data;
- conducting risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs;
- promoting awareness of security issues among management and ensuring sound security principles are reflected in organizations visions and goals;
- conducting systems security evaluations, audits, and reviews;
- developing systems security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures;
- developing and implementing programs to ensure that systems, network, and data users are aware of, understand, and adhere to systems security policies and procedures;
- participating in network and systems design to ensure implementation of appropriate systems security policies;
- facilitating the gathering, analysis, and preservation of evidence used in the prosecution of computer crimes;
- assessing security events to determine impact and implementing corrective actions; and/or
- ensuring the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of all IT services.[Register to View]
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Background investigation leading to a clearance is required for new hires
- These are Drug Testing positions
This position is being filled using the agency's Direct Hire Authority.
Applicants will be rated in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for Information Technology (IT) Management Series, 2210. Position requirements vary depending upon the specific grade. You must meet any minimum experience or education requirements per OPM qualifications standards and demonstrate through experience and/or education that you possess the quality level of knowledge, skill, and ability necessary to perform the duties of the position at the grade level for which applying.
For additional information, refer to the following [Register to View]
A DETAILED description of your work experience in your personal resume must clearly demonstrate that you have gained and currently possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position and grade being filled.
Candidates may qualify for the 2210, IT Management Series by meeting either the Experience requirements specified in the Qualifications section of this announcement or the Education requirements specified in the section titled Education.
Experience Requirements (All Grades)
For GS-9: Experience that demonstrated knowledge of computer requirements and techniques in carrying out project assignments consisting of several related tasks, such as typically is the case in development of minor modifications to parts of a system on the basis of detailed specifications provided. The assignments must have shown completion of the following, or the equivalent:
- Analysis of the interrelationships of pertinent components of the system;
- Planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment; and
- Personal responsibility for at least a segment of the overall project.
For GS-11: Experience that demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques. For example, assignments would show, on the basis of general design criteria provided, experience in developing modifications to parts of a system that required significant revisions in the logic or techniques used in the original development. Accomplishments, in addition to those noted for the GS-9 level, normally involve the following, or the equivalent:
- Knowledge of the customary approaches, techniques, and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization;
- Planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls; and
- Adaptation of guidelines or precedents to the needs of the assignment.
For GS-12 and above: Experience that demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant analyzed a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of ADP system design, such as what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project.
For all positions, individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
For all grades, one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level (or equivalent) is required. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE is experience that involved ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of systems, networks, and data through the planning, analysis, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of information systems security programs, policies, procedures, and tools.
Education Requirements (Grades 9 and 11)
You may meet the basic requirements for these positions through the substitution of education for experience.
All academic degrees and coursework must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions.
Degree requirements: A degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems, or networks and provided knowledge equivalent to a major in the computer field.
GG-9 grade level
Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree
GG-11 grade level
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
For additional information on substituting education for experience, please click the following [Register to View]
When qualifying based on education, transcripts and/or certifications must be submitted at the time of application. Note: It is your responsibility to furnish documentation that verifies you meet the basic education requirements; in the absence of such documentation, you will not be considered.