Network Test Development Engineer
Job SummaryThe Technology, Product, Experience (TPX) organization works at the intersection of media and technology and our innovative teams are continually developing and delivering products and next-generation technologies that transform the customer experience. The Comcast Network and CONNECTivity (CONNECT) organization is a highly agile, fast-paced, dedicated group at the forefront of change focused on innovating, building, and operating the best in class, most reliable access network for our customers.
Overview of the Role:
The selected candidate will participate in the integration & validation of new features and capabilities of the virtual CMTS (vCMTS) along with defining the test and automation approach for new features. The E2E vCMTS team participates in diagnosing issues in the vCMTS labs, monitoring and analyzing alert conditions in the production cable network. Additionally, the team formally tests new software releases and hardware versions of the vCMTS and associated devices, developing automation to support creation of failure conditions in the lab and execution of regression tests.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with scripting languages, specifically Python
- Network experience - DOCSIS is a plus!
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- Generally requires 5-7 years of related experience
- Collaborates with development to understand product and system requirements to define required tests.
- Works with the program teams and project managers to insure test plans, execution status and issues are effectively communicated.
- Design and implement updates to testing frameworks.
- Design tests and automation to fully test and stress new system requirements and components.
- Participates in training representatives and operations staff on procedures to monitor and troubleshoot production systems.
- Performs testing of vCMTS updates, RPD Updates, and Configuration changes to insure there are no impacts to customers.
- Develops automation scripts and procedures to perform regression testing on a daily and weekly basis.
- Monitors and update the E2E Pre-production environments to insure no customer impacts would occur in production.
- Collaborate with operations and development to assess production issues and alerts to aid in recovery and identifying gaps in testing procedures.
- Evaluate testing and monitoring software for use within the E2E lab.
- Collaborate with E2E team to investigate issues encountered during tests and document trouble tickets for tracking.
- Work with R&D to perform test on proof of concept systems and configurations.
- Guide and assist more junior members of the team on development and test procedures.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts, skills in networking, DOCSIS, and scripting development.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills to test procedures and system monitoring.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to occasionally work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
About the Team:
The End to End vCMTS (Virtual CMTS) Test Team performs a variety of critical functions in the process of releasing component software to the Comcast production environments providing cable services to millions of customers. The team works closely with development during system integration testing of innovative features and devices. They conduct manual testing on new features to map out regression and automated test requirements which are then implemented and run daily / weekly. There are multiple vCMTS environments, including hundreds of devices, managed and used by the team. While testing new capabilities, one of the top priorities is the reproduction of production issues and root cause analysis. The team works in a collaborative manner within a very dynamic environment with opportunities to take on the challenges that interest you.
About Our Perks & Benefits:
We are determined to create an environment where our employees feel valued, understand our business goals, and are motivated.
Here's a look at just some of the perks and benefits we make available to our US-based employees:
- Medical & Dental
- 401(k) Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off
- Life Milestones - from adoption assistance, childcare resources, pet insurance, and more, Comcast supports you at all life stages.
- Courtesy Services - We offer all of our full-time employees in serviceable areas free digital TV and internet.
- Discount tickets for Universal Resorts, including theme park tickets and onsite hotel rooms.
Learn more at [Register to View]
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.