Principal Database Engineer
Job SummaryResponsible for designing, modeling, developing and supporting Database Management Systems (DBMS). This position will be heavy on Oracle DB performance tuning. Analyzes data requirements, application and processing architectures, data dictionaries, and database schema(s), and then designs, develops, amends, optimizes, and certifies database schema design to meet system(s) requirements. Gathers, analyzes, and normalizes relevant information related to, and from business processes, functions, and operations to evaluate data credibility and determine relevance and meaning. Develops database and optimization designs across multiple platforms and computing environments. Develops an overall data architecture that supports the information needs of the business in a flexible but secure environment. Trains non-technical personnel. Assists with tracking performance metrics. Provides guidance and support to other fellow Engineers. Integrates knowledge of business and functional priorities. Acts as a key contributor in a complex and crucial environment. May lead teams or projects and shares expertise.
Extensive experience with Oracle 12c/19c databases and Oracle Grid Control in a DevOps environment
- Strong Oracle Performance Tuning a must
- Experience with multi data-center replication (Data Guard/GoldenGate) and DR setup
- Experience with AWS cloud environments, including but not limited to RDS, Cloudwatch, parameter groups, option groups, security groups, instance class sizing etc. preferred
- Strong automation experience that centers around Database setup/upkeep
- Strong scripting experience required (PL/SQL, SQL, Shell scripting)
- Experience with Python, ruby, ansible, github, Terraform, vault, Jenkins, prometheus preferred
- Experience with enterprise-wide monitoring w/r to Database environments
- Experience working with DEV teams on tuning, architecting and advocating technologies/features that can be leveraged to improve a platform
- Experience with MySQL and MSSQL a bonus
- Experience with NoSQL Database a plus (Mongo DB)
- 24/7 support of production database services to ensure the highest standards of availability, resilience, integrity, security and performance required by our business systems.
- Management and maintenance of back-ups & recovery procedures.
- Reviewing/tuning SQL/PL-SQL code, architecting RDBMS/nosql database environments
- Security and access control.
- Provisioning of (database) development and testing environments.
Ability to work in a high pressure, fast paced environment
- Strong Team Player and effective ability to communicate with other teams and business users
- Ability to work in a fast growing, high expectation environment
- Solid organizational and prioritizing skills Capable of working with limited supervision
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including technical documentation
- Customer service driven
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical users
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.