Lead Data Engineer
Job SummaryResponsible for transforming large, complex data into consumable business databases and applications for self-service analytics and reporting. Create system architecture, design and specification using in-depth engineering skills and knowledge to solve difficult development problems and achieve engineering goals. Works closely with a variety of team members to clearly define data product requirements and technical roadmaps. Determine and source appropriate data for a given analysis. Work with data modelers/analysts to understand the business problems they are trying to solve then create or augment data assets to feed their analysis. Acts as a technical expert in own area within the organization. May work independently or as part of a team on more complex projects. Provides mentoring and guidance to more junior team members. May be responsible for leading a team, but does not directly manage people.
- Defines technical roadmap and participates in the development of business strategy.
- Designs and architects databases and applications and leads each project through implementation, using in-depth understanding of product life cycle and industry technical knowledge.
- Solves complex engineering problems where analysis of situation or business knowledge does not adequately define the problem and requires a deep understanding of the solution architecture and industry expertise to help frame the business question in engineering terms.
- Acts as a subject matter expert in one or more technical areas; such as data architecture, data engineering or data manipulation within big data systems like Hadoop (Kafka, Spark, Ambari and Hawk), SQL and HiveQL. Uses fluency in primary technology and proficiencies in one or more secondary technologies to support adoption of additional or new technologies' by the team.
- Serves as a team leader on projects spanning different engineering disciplines within the organization. Provides consultative direction and develops long-term objectives and plans on tactical and strategic issues.
- Develops resources plans for senior management which support department initiatives and goals.
- Acts as a liaison between business owners and technical associates to ensure the data collected and processed is both actionable and relevant to the end goals.
- Collaborates with technology and platform management partners to optimize data sourcing and processing rules to ensure appropriate data quality.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) and overtime as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Comcast is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
While possessing the stated degree is preferred, Comcast also may consider applicants who hold some combination of coursework and experience, or who have extensive related professional experience.
Relevant Work Experience
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.