Lightpath is one of the largest competitive local exchange carriers in the tri-state area. We own and operate our infrastructure "from the ground up" by deploying over 20,000 route miles connecting 13,500 on-net/LIT buildings, With a strong portfolio of cutting edge solutions for Internet, WAN, Voice, SD-WAN, Security & Cloud services, we enable Enterprise customers of all sizes the ability to react to new challenges while developing best practices for the future. With Lightpath’s continued focus on network excellence and a “customer first” service commitment, we are building a workforce of the best talent that will meet the needs of our customers and reflect the diverse communities we serve.
Under the general supervision of the Infrastructure Manager at Lightpath Fiber, the Fiber Designer is responsible for performing various duties related to the development and maintenance of the companies GIS network, including fiber splice & design package creation, several types of data database development, quality control of the data base and output of all reports and design packages. In addition, the position will support miscellaneous departmental needs, including assisting or leading project sales mapping requests, development of new internal building map creations using CADD or GIS software, create data bases to develop and provide reports on various categories in the system such as but not limited to cable milage installed and route milage to date etc.DUTIES
- Work with in-house and contract engineers/construction managers to review field maps and proposed network design requests that will need to draft into the Lightpath data base while maintain Lightpath design standards and the integrity of the system.
- Perform basic drafting in AutoCAD of commercial properties, including building floor plans, and private commercial property details to the nearest network tie point or public right of way location.
- Create data base tracking for different forms of tracking, such as Utility poles, underground structures, types/descriptions of fiber optic cables, splice panels and buildings. Develop new maps for new build extensions while placing each piece part of the design in these data bases.
- Perform basic drafting in AutoCAD of fiber optic design on system grids, which could include Utility (Pole or underground conduit) and various street map vendors.
- Perform basic drafting in AutoCAD/excel or other software of splicing matrix and any technical aspect to determine routing, attachments, approximate cable losses, and connectivity to active plant.
- Complete basic Netcracker tasks for single customer orders.
- Monitor process flow of each individual project using various tools within the department to make sure splice design packages are ready when the construction phase of the project is nearing completion.
- Develop GIS software and design system from the ground up track and monitor software upgrades for the network.
- High School diploma with GIS certification or degree
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- 50 Hour AutoCAD or equivalent experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Familiar with fiber optic design and construction practices
- Strong Knowledge with computers including word, Visio, excel, Streets and Trips
- Ability to read and comprehend maps
- Ability to work at a computer and screen for long periods of time each day.
- Ability to work alongside construction manager in the field environment to understand the basis of fiber design and understand the network.
- Ability to work under pressure and off hours is a must.
- Ability to use Google Earth
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
Lightpath is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
Lightpath collects personal information about its applicants for employment that may include personal identifiers, professional or employment related information, photos, education information and/or protected classifications under federal and state law. This information is collected for employment purposes, including identification, work authorization, FCRA-compliant background screening, human resource administration and compliance with federal, state and local law.