Engineer 5, Tier 2 Operations Engineer (R326786)
Job SummaryThis position is an engineering role for the remote network surveillance and advanced trouble shooting team that is responsible for monitoring, testing, maintaining, and restoring the 5G wireless network. The responsible party will drive Tier II diagnostic and outage restoration efforts to support the Comcast 5G NOC during network outage events and resolve network related trouble tickets. Candidate will provide statistics and lessons learned from past outages and will implement changes to mitigate future risks. This is also a training and mentoring position to support the Tier I NOC with their daily operations.
- Ability to thrive in a high stress environment while working with a team of Tier II NOC Engineers, Comcast Tier I NOC technicians and management, Comcast and 3rd Party Field Ops Technicians, Fiber, Power & Equipment Vendors, Vendor NOC and Tier II/III Care personnel, Comcast performance engineering team and Executive Leadership.
- Provide second level operational engineering support to detect incidents, troubleshoot problems and implement resolutions with deployed 5G Core, RAN, Transport and other network systems deployed nation-wide. This position will quickly analyze service and system issues, determine corrective actions and implement steps to restore services, and will escalate complex issues to additional resources.
- Provide ticket information on the corrective actions implemented. Corrective actions can range from hardware resets to Network Function stop/restarts. This position will also contribute to on-going process improvement reviews, identifying areas for automation and overall efficiency improvements increasing service up-time and overall customer experience.
- Document incidents in the Comcast ticketing systems and manage escalation processes as needed.
- Engage and escalate issues with vendor Care support teams when critical/time sensitive support and resolution is needed.
- Engage and escalate issues with internal Performance Engineering support teams if the network impairment is deemed to be an RF issue rather than an equipment or service fault.
- Enter/update Trouble Tickets with technical details, schedule/coordinate further troubleshooting, maintenance and/or hardware replacement requests.
- Support site monitoring/health checks following maintenance activities
- Collect traces for network faults using vendor specific tools as well as network probes.
- Work with technical teams to document troubleshooting steps and methods to improve processes.
- Produce updated technical specifications of system changes and provide a comprehensive plan for release.
- Work with stakeholders to define business and systems requirements for new technology implementations.
- Support solution processes to meet key criteria of future CI/CD, system orchestration and automation once developed.
- This position will be 8x5 with a need to support network outages in the event they occur outside standard business hours.
- Extensive knowledge of computer systems, emphasis on application use for network monitoring, OSI Layer, general electronic test equipment.
- Develops & Implement ideas, technical and non-technical, in a logical, compelling manner in a written format and verbally in both small and large group settings.
- Creates new processes/procedures to automate the trouble identification, notification, restoration, and documentation processes.
- Provide incident review and analysis requests to determine root cause analysis to Executive Leadership.
- Verify and Correct Method of Procedure (MOP) documentation for activities to be performed in a production environment.
- Advanced level knowledge of cell site topology, Transport and RF KPI’s.
- 7+ years’ experience in network operations, preferably in the wireless industry.
- Understanding of 5G RAN split functions (7-2x, RU, DU, CU, CP, UP…) and software systems/services running virtualized ORAN functions.
- 5G SA – Core topology and functionality knowledge.
- Understanding of 5G SA Core software architectures in a virtualized/containerized (Cloud Based) environment and CORE operations and configurations.
- Able to read RAN artifacts (CIQ, Network Diagram, call flow document, descriptors /HelmCharts, Deployment Procedures, MOPs etc.) during the course of debugging/fault isolation.
- Ability to use ticket tracking services.
- Ability to grasp higher-level technology issues and troubleshoot to resolution.
- Ability to span departments to assist in resolving network event outages.
- Experience analyzing wireless networks, related equipment and/or performance.
- Ability to multitask, meet objectives and solve issues in stressful situations with high speed of completion and high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to quickly learn new tools and systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Vocational/Technical Training with 6 years of relevant work experience; or
- two-year vocational degree in a technical discipline with a minimum of 8 years of equivalent work experience working in a wireless network operations environment; or
- technical military IT or communications training with a minimum of 8 years of equivalent work experience working in a wireless network operations environment.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
- Own the customer experience - think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services.
- Know your stuff - be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences.
- Win as a team - make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas.
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System - a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company - by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers.
- Drive results and growth.
- Respect and promote inclusion & diversity.
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities.
- This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications.
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Relevant Work Experience
10 Years +
Base pay is one part of the Total Rewards that Comcast provides to compensate and recognize employees for their work. Most sales positions are eligible for a Commission under the terms of an applicable plan, while most non-sales positions are eligible for a Bonus. Additionally, Comcast provides best-in-class Benefits. We believe that benefits should connect you to the support you need when it matters most, and should help you care for those who matter most. That’s why we provide an array of options, expert guidance and always-on tools, that are personalized to meet the needs of your reality – to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. Please visit the [Register to View] on our careers site for more details.