Associate Civil Engineer (Water Distribution Planning) (22-102)
The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is currently seeking an Associate Civil Engineer who is energetic, innovative, and team-oriented with experience in water infrastructure planning and hydraulic modeling to join the Water Distribution Planning Division within EBMUD’s Engineering and Construction Department. Currently, there is a vacancy within the Water Service Planning Section of the Water Distribution Planning Division. Reporting to a Senior Engineer, an Associate Civil Engineer is the registered professional engineer level position on the EBMUD engineering career ladder and often works as a project leader.
The Division handles significant work to support capital projects and ongoing operations, including water distribution system upgrades and extensions; major facilities; water services; new facilities; master planning; facilities outage planning and coordination; pressure zone planning studies; environmental studies and reviews; and long-term project development and management of distribution system facility components. The work focuses on EBMUD’s 4,000+ miles of water distribution system pipeline network and water distribution facilities including reservoir and pumping plants.
Specific responsibilities may include:
• Conducting comprehensive engineering and planning studies of EBMUD’s water systems.
• Conducting varied engineering analyses in hydraulics, site planning and system operations.
• Preparing engineering economic feasibility studies.
• Preparing environmental assessment studies and CEQA documentation on proposed or existing facilities.
• Assembling and analyzing water use, urban land use and population and related data to make projections of water consumption, water quality and other growth factors.
• Preparing project documents including project justifications, budget analyses, preliminary cost estimates, project authorization forms and schedules.
• Preparing complete reports including computations, text, charts, sketches, conclusions, and recommendations for engineering projects.
• Performing a variety of hydraulic and statistical computations and analyses related to the planning, design and operation of water distribution and treatment facilities.
• Administering outside consultant and general service contracts.
• Leading and directing project teams.
• Presenting project findings and results to management, operations and maintenance staff, and the public.
• Providing design and construction support for water distribution projects.
The ideal candidates for position in this Division will demonstrate proficiency in water distribution planning activities, including hydraulic modeling and computer analysis; project planning and management; oral and written communication skills; experience with environmental documentation; and engineering analyses for a variety of water distribution system projects.
The salary range for Associate Civil Engineer is $11,362 per month increasing to $11,930, $12,527, $13,153, and $13,811 after 6, 18, 30, and 42 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals age forty or older, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical condition), pregnancy disability leave status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and other categories protected by federal, state and/or local laws.Requirements
1. A bachelor’s degree in an ABET-accredited civil or environmental engineering curriculum, or a California EIT certificate.
2. Four years of professional civil engineering experience (after obtaining the degree), which is equivalent to two years of experience at EBMUD’s Assistant Engineer level; AND
3. California registration as a Professional Civil Engineer.
4. Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
5. Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job.
6. Must be willing to work overtime as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. *
*Please contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at [Register to View] The Selection Process
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at [Register to View] by 4:30 p.m., Friday, June 24, 2022. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates receiving a passing score to be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for July or August 2022.
4. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
5. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
6. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.Supplemental Information
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed. Should you respond with comments such as “see application” or “see resume” instead of addressing the questions directly, your application may not be considered.Our excellent benefits package includes:
- 12 days paid vacation; 16 holidays; 13 days paid sick leave;
- Family health insurance (choice of Kaiser fully paid or Sutter Health Plus or Anthem Blue Cross 85% paid);
- Fully paid family dental and vision care plans; life insurance; long-term disability insurance;
- EBMUD Retirement Plan (reciprocal with CalPERS);
- $1,000/yr. contributed to flexible spending account or cash;
- $145/mo. public transit subsidy;
- 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; Roth 401(k);
- $3,500/yr. tuition reimbursement;
- And opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.