Graphic Design Supervisor
The Graphic Design Supervisor is the first-line supervisor responsible for all activities and staff in the Graphic Design Section who work to produce high-quality, professional visual communications that express East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) messages and priorities in the appropriate tone. This team produces graphic art and related projects including a wide variety of graphic design materials for EBMUD’s internal and external audiences, including brochures, posters, forms, maps, presentations, ads, displays, mailers, illustrations charts, graphs, diagrams schematics, and various miscellaneous illustrations for report publications and other public outreach material in various media using both PC and Apple computer-based software. Graphic design staff works with a wide range of clients District-wide, including finance, human resources, engineering, operations and maintenance, finance, natural resources, legislative affairs, and public affairs. In particular, the staff works in close collaboration with public affairs staff in developing outreach materials that reinforce the District’s mission and values.
The Graphic Design Supervisor provides client-focused graphic design services. The incumbent will receive requests for graphic artwork, evaluate the requirements of the work, schedule the work, and keep records of progress and final products. The Graphic Design Supervisor acts as the primary liaison with clients, which include all levels and Departments of EBMUD and outside consultants, printers, and agencies. In addition to having strong people skills, this individual is expected to have extensive knowledge of all graphic design production techniques including reproduction for print, presentation, exhibitions, and web formats. The supervisor is expected to also have extensive knowledge and experience in the use of a wide range of specialized graphic design and web design software applications and hardware, including scanners, printers, and web-based file sharing tools. The candidate should also have extensive experience working with IT professionals on user interface design and user experience design.
• Assigning, reviewing, and checking the work of graphic designers involved in developing graphic representations.
• Coordinating the work of the group, especially on multi-disciplinary projects with public affairs, finance, engineering and operating groups and others who request graphic design services, while working within an established priority system.
• Operating computer design equipment.
• Advising others on graphics work, including presentation methods, costs, etc. for displays, visual aids, signs, multi-color offset reproduction, forms, and related graphics.
• Working with the EBMUD’s Information Systems Division on the development of aesthetic, intuitive and functional web interfaces.
• Keeping the manager apprised of work progress of the section to assist in overall operations.
• Training and developing new graphic designers in use of new techniques, materials, and methods.
• Designing and revising forms and user templates (such as project information sheets, standard flyers/door hangers, annual legal ads).
• Creating geographically accurate trail maps and other graphic design projects using data from the District’s GIS system
• Reviewing, evaluating, and implementing new graphic design applications, materials, and methods to improve overall product quality and achieve economy in work processes; and
• Performing related duties as assigned.
The most competitive candidates for Graphic Design Supervisor will have excellent graphic design, written and oral communication skills; previous experience supervising staff; and a demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a wide variety of clients and staff to prioritize projects to meet project communication goals and schedules while meeting the needs of clients and EBMUD as a whole.
Every employee adds value to the EBMUD team as they are committed to responsible stewardship of our resources. The employee standard is to act with integrity, treat others with respect, and value a teamwork culture while fulfilling EBMUD's mission to provide reliable, high-quality water and wastewater services at fair rates.
The salary range is $9,793 per month increasing to $10,283, $10,797, and $11,337 after 6, 18, and 30 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity (including transgender status), gender expression, marital or registered domestic partnership status, age for individuals age forty or older, national origin, ancestry, disability (mental or physical), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veterans status, family or medical leave status, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical condition), pregnancy disability leave status, domestic violence victim status, political affiliation, and other categories protected by federal, state and/or local laws.Requirements
A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is:
1. A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in graphic design, applied art, or a related field, AND
2. Four years of increasingly greater responsibility in graphic design layouts, preparation of print-ready and web-ready digital art, and direction of production on various output devices (i.e., offset printing, digital display, etc.).
Physical and environmental conditions include moderate lifting, sitting for prolonged periods of time, repetitive hand motions, the need to accurately distinguish color and image quality, the occasional need to drive to other work locations, and the use of graphic design tools, adhesives and cutting devices with blades.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources for additional questions.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. To be considered under the “equivalent combination of education and experience” provision, it is your responsibility to include in your application materials written evidence of employment performed at the level of the typical duties of this position and/or coursework in subject areas directly related to this position. For more information, see our FAQ page at [Register to View] The Selection Process
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at [Register to View] by 4:30 p.m., Friday, December 16, 2022. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. Candidates must achieve a passing score on each test part in order to advance to the next step in the selection process.
3. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates receiving a passing score to be invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for January 2023.
4. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
5. The probation period for this position is 12 months. For those holding civil service status the probation period is 6 months.
6. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.Supplemental Information
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular application. The purpose of this supplement is to obtain sufficient information to determine which candidates possess the best job-related qualifications for this classification. Those candidates will be invited to the next step in the selection process.
Due to the competitive nature of the review, it is very important to fill out this supplement completely and accurately. It is your responsibility to describe your work experience, including specific details of assignments you have personally performed, which are relevant to the position. Incomplete applications and supplements will not be considered by the review panel. Should you respond with comments such as "see application" or "see résumé" instead of addressing the questions directly, your application may not be considered.
Our excellent benefits package includes:
- Eligibility for annual merit-based bonus pay program;
- 12 days paid vacation; 16 holidays; 7 days paid administrative leave; 13 days paid sick leave;
- Family health insurance (choice of Kaiser fully paid or Sutter Health Plus or Anthem Blue Cross 85% paid);
- Fully paid family dental and vision care plans; life insurance; long-term disability insurance;
- EBMUD Retirement Plan (reciprocal with CalPERS);
- $1,000/yr. contributed to flexible spending account or cash;
- $145/mo. public transit subsidy;
- 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; Roth 401(k);
- $3,500/yr. tuition reimbursement;
- And opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.