As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.In the External Reporting department, you will be part of a dynamic team where you can add value but also learn, develop and move forward in your career! This is a key role as you will work with a variety of business areas, develop partnerships with business leaders, and make an impact with your solid accounting skills.
The position of Accountant II is located in our Houston, TX Corporate office and reports to the Manager, External Reporting & Technical Accounting.
I. Job Summary
The Accountant II will be a key member of the External Reporting group and will complement the department’s other accounting resources. The position requires a general understanding of U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“US GAAP”) and SEC regulations.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Assist with drafting of financial statements and footnote disclosures for SEC filings. Coordinate efforts with internal departments and external groups to gather financial and non-financial information for use in SEC filings.
- Ensure compliance with SEC XBRL filing requirements.
- Assist with the review of revenue contracts.
- Assist with the financial reporting for employee benefit plans and captive insurance companies.
- Assist internal departments with researching and interpreting US GAAP and SEC regulations.
- Assist with evaluating the accounting consequences of potential transactions and provide input and suggestions to planned and proposed agreements, as requested.
- Collect and analyze financial data, and perform additional analysis as required.
- Coordinate with our external auditors to ensure timely completion of our quarterly review and annual audit.
- Assist with the maintenance and application of internal controls; and
- Assist with special projects within the Accounting function, as needed.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited)
- Experience: A minimum of three years of relevant work experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required, however, CPA or pursuing CPA preferred.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- General understanding of US GAAP, Sarbanes Oxley and SEC regulations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; and
- Exceptional business acumen.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”