As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
Why work for Waste Management? The Value of a WM Job is more than a paycheck.
We are Committed to your Growth: 100% tuition paid for you and your family
We are People First: We foster an environment where all teammates feel welcomed, valued and seen
We are Stable: Our employees are home every day and perform essential and meaningful work
We are Investing in You: Amazing Medical, Dental & Vision, 401k with match, Discounted Stock options, Dependent Day Care, and more!
Who are we? #WeAreWM
About the Job
This position requires an individual with ambition and curiosity as well as engineering technical skills. You will be tasked to apply your education and experience to assignments under the mentorship of experienced technical staff and managers. You will expand your understanding of waste management processes, including landfill operations, regulatory permitting and compliance, construction, and environmental management systems. In addition to the technical engineering aspects, the role is diverse and ever interesting as it requires creativity and active participation in multiple functions of the business such as project planning and budgeting, accounting, contract negotiations, regulatory interaction, construction oversight and operations.
What You'll be Doing
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develops an understanding of all permits governing the construction and operation of landfill disposal sites and other operations, such as waste transfer stations, collection operations and material recovery facilities, in an assigned area.
- Procures and directs professional consulting firms engaged in preparing regulatory documents, such as permit applications, for adherence to regulatory requirements and consistency with site conditions and operations. Review documents with an eye toward improving efficiencies in design, constructability, quality, compliance, safety, and cost savings. Work with senior engineers, operations, and consultants to update documents and permits to capture identified efficiencies.
- Assists and works alongside with senior level WM engineers on construction projects. Take responsibility for tasks as assigned by the lead WM engineer, such as contract administration, materials order and delivery, contractor scheduling, CQA oversight, etc.
- Works with operation teams to ensure compliance with permits and to prevent or resolve operational issues.
- Assists in the preparation and/or review of engineering, monitoring and environmental reports.
- Assists in environmental reviews and audits.
- Works with landfill managers to formulate short-term and long-term goals and action plans in alignment with WM objectives.
- Identifies and estimates the cost of, site capital needs and follow-through with inclusion in annual budget exercises.
- Interacts with state and local agencies to foster positive working relationships and to insure efficient and effective compliance with regulations.
- Reviews and understands WM engineering and technical directives and Best Management Practices and implement at sites in your assigned area.
- Provides technical support to operations, sales staff, landfill managers and environmental staff, such as landfill gas technicians and other functional areas.
- Participates in continuing education opportunities to maintain and enhance personal skill sets and continually look for opportunities to integrate new knowledge, technologies and innovations into WM operations.
What does it take to be an Engineer for WM?
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Engineering.
- Experience: Three (3) years of previous experience in an engineering, technical, or environmental field (in addition to education requirement).
- Possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect and interpret data and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret documents such as contracts, regulations, permit documents, procedural manuals, contracts and safety rules.
- Ability to follow established procedures and follow directions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to draft reports or data submittals at state and local levels.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
Listed below are key points regarding the work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, tablet data entry, office machine operation, etc.).
- Ability to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 30 pounds.
- Site work may involve exposure to physical occupational risks associated with chemicals, fuels, wastewater, and construction operations such as dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes and/or similar.
- Travel up to 50% of time within your assigned area.
About our Benefits
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
About Waste Management
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production pr
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”