Environmental Technician (Entry Level)
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
Supports WMSS onsite program, including manual labor associated with drum movements within the facility, drum bulking, drum crushing, assisting when extra personnel are needed, and other duties as assigned. This is an entry level, non-supervisory position focused on hazardous and non-hazardous waste related projects.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Identify best practices that assist customers in reducing waste volumes, increasing operational efficiencies, identifying optimal equipment usage and generating cost savings.
- Segregate, label, mark and package waste materials in a safe and compliant manner.
- Collect, pour, transfer, consolidate, repackage and package solid, liquid & sludge material.
- Perform labor intensive activities such as container or drum collection, drum bulking, sorting trash for recyclables, and loading of trucks.
- Transfer waste into containers of different size.
- Provide labor support at 90 Day Hazardous Waste Pad, when applicable.
- May provide support or direction to less experienced Technicians.
- Wears required personal protective equipment.
- Participates and cooperates in safety process, including following written procedures, attending required training and scheduled meetings.
- Immediately reports any unsafe conditions, incidents, injuries or property damage to supervisor.
- Follows Environmental and Quality Management System (ISO 14001/9001) policy, procedures, and operational controls related to job responsibilities.
- Maintains compliance with applicable environmental, safety and transportation regulations (EPA, OSHA, and DOT).
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High school diploma or G.E.D (accredited).
- Experience: No previous experience (in addition to education requirement).
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Pre-assignment and/or pre-hire customer-specific drug and/or alcohol testing may be required by certain customer-contract requirements. Such testing may include urinalysis, oral swab, drug hair follicle testing and/or alcohol testing.
- Forklift experience preferred
- Must be able to obtain CDL w/ Hazmat Endorsement within 6 months of hire
- Some WM customers require COVID vaccionation. For these positions, proof of vaccionation will be required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Must be able to work independently with little direction, and as a member of a team.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to 30 pounds most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to 50 pounds occasionally;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday;
- Ability to perform tasks in inclement weather.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.