Environmental Technician II
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
I. Job Summary
Supports Sustainability Services onsite program, including manual labor associated with chemical handling, lab pack duties, drum movements within the facility, drum bulking, drum crushing, assisting when extra personnel are needed and other duties as assigned. This is a support position focused on hazardous and non-hazardous waste related projects
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Ensure waste types are properly segregated, regulatory shipment windows are met, proper container labeling is adhered to, good housekeeping is maintained and accurate tracking logs are kept.
- Identify best practices that assist customers in reducing waste volumes, increasing operational efficiencies, identifying optimal equipment usage and generating cost savings.
- Segregate, label, mark and package waste materials in a safe and compliant manner.
- Collect, pour, transfer, consolidate, repackage and package solid, liquid and sludge material.
- Perform labor intensive activities such as container or drum collection, drum bulking, sorting trash for recyclables and loading of trucks.
- Transfer waste into containers of different size.
- Provide labor support at 90-Day Hazardous Waste Pad, when applicable.
- May provide support or direction to less experienced Technicians.
- Wears required personal protective equipment.
- Participates and cooperates in safety process, including following written procedures, attending required training and scheduled meetings.
- Immediately reports any unsafe conditions, incidents, injuries or property damage to supervisor.
- Follows Environmental and Quality Management System (ISO 14001/9001) policy, procedures and operational controls related to job responsibilities.
- Maintains compliance with applicable environmental, safety and transportation regulations (EPA, OSHA and DOT).
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has no supervisory duties.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Associate's Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and two (2) years of relevant work experience.
- Experience: None required (in addition to education requirement).
- Preferred: Four year degree or four years lab packing experience preferred per customer due to high hazard chemicals and technical nature of the position.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- RCRA and DOT regulatory compliance experience preferred.
- 24-hour HAZWOPER certification (or equivalent) or the ability to obtain such within 30 days of employment.
- Forklift experience preferre
- Must be able to obtain CDL w/ Hazmat Endorsement within 6 months of hire
- Some WM customers require COVID vaccination. For these positions, proof of vaccinations will be required.
- Manifesting hazardous and non-hazardous waste experience preferred.
- Pre-assignment and/or pre-hire customer-specific drug and/or alcohol testing may be required by certain customer-contract requirements. Such testing may include urinalysis, oral swab, drug hair follicle testing and/or alcohol testing.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Must be able to work independently with little direction, and as a member of a team.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects up to 50 pounds most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as cuts, burns, exposure to chemicals, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday;
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.