As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
When you drive for Waste Management, you join a team of the best drivers in the nation - professional, well trained, and skilled. Our drivers work hard and drive safe. They know they are valued front-line team members who are the key in making Waste Management number one in the industry. They are rewarded with competitive pay, great benefits, opportunity for growth, and they are home at night and on the weekends.
I. Job Summary
Lead Drivers substitute for the drivers of open routes, supporting drivers to complete routes, and provides other operational support as directed by the Route Manager, which will include training new drivers, retraining, and follow up training of current drivers. Mentors new drivers, participates in routing projects and other developmental programs.II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following tasks.
- Provides On-the-Job training of new drivers and retrains drivers who have been re-assigned to new routes, line of business or drivers who have driving performance issues.
- Observes and coaches new drivers to ensure proper and consistent safety and performance duties are achieved.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with Waste Management Safety and Life Critical Rules, OSHA (Occupational and Safety Health Act) and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all local, state and federal laws.
- Performs pre- and post-trip inspections of assigned vehicle and documents checks utilizing the standard DVIR (Driver Vehicle Inspection Report). .
- Immediately reports all unsafe situations or service related issues to Route Manager or Dispatch.
- Attends and participates in all scheduled training programs, briefings, and meetings as required by Waste Management or directed by the Route Manager.
- Works closely with Route Manager to improve route efficiencies and identify best practices.
- Notifies Route Manager of any incidents, accidents, injures, or property damage.
- Notifies Route Manager or Dispatch of service interruptions, including blocked containers, closed lots, streets, alleyways or potential safety hazards.
- Communicates customer requests to Dispatch or Route Manager.
- Identifies and reports all containers in need of repair or replacement.
- Follows route assignments as directed and completes end of day documentation and check out process.
- Maintains training documentation and records of all driver’s training.
- Mentors new drivers to help in the acclamation to District and the Driver role.
- Performs all duties as scheduled by Route Manager or Dispatch and assisting other drivers as directed to meet customer needs.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
Education: Not required
Experience: 5 year(s) of relevant work experience operating a vehicle requiring a CDL or equivalent military driving within the last 7 years
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Hold a current Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License with an air-brake endorsement.
The CDL is a requirement, therefore, an applicant must be 18 years of age.
Legally eligible to work in the United States.
Successfully complete and pass pre-employment DOT drug screen and DOT physical.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Acceptable driving record required.
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding the physical requirements, and work environment of the job. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with arm, hand, finger, and leg dexterity.
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects more than __ pounds frequently.
- Requires pushing, pulling, bending, twisting and lifting up to __ lbs.
- Normal setting for this job is outdoors and/or driving a video/GPS monitored vehicle.
- Will be exposed to a physical environment, which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements most of the workday.
Note: The level of physical effort may vary from site to site and in some cases be greater or lesser than documented here.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click "Apply.”